DESS issue, boat will just stop running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So while we had the boat out on the water today both engines would just shut off randomly. I would remove the lanyard and plug it back in and I would get two beeps most of the times. Some times no beep the first time I put the lanyard back on but would the next time. Boat would start up and running for a few seconds and turn back off again. I would even hold the lanyard tight to the DESS post and that would not make a difference. I don't think it is a loss wire because some of the times it would happen when going very slow with smooth water. Some time it would run for 15 minutes before is shut off. This is the first time this has happen. I am thinking it is a bad post but the guy who had the boat before me said he just changed it. Not sure if it was just a cheap one off E-bay or not.

I changed out the DESS post yesterday afternoon back to my old one. Took the boat out today and same issue. While sitting at the dock letting the motors warm up both would just turn off. I was able to start them back up but again within 10-15 seconds they would turn off. While they were running I would push/turn the lanyard and nothing would happen, motor keeps running so I am thinking it is not the lanyard. Could two post be bad? HELP

so I did a test. With the lanyard off I push stop/start button five times and I get one short beep and one long beep. Right after I put the lanyard on and I get no beeps. I take it off and put it back one and I get two beeps and the motor will start.

2nd for the grounds / dirty electrical connections.
I have Been fighting random not start or stall issues on my 97 Chalenger 1800 and cleaning all the contacts in the harness and reapplying dielectric grease to everyone has helped. The biggest net improvement was pulling out every fuse in the MPEM and sanding the tarnish off the blades of the fuse. I little light sandpaper and make the fuse blades look like new and reinstall and a motor that cranked but had no spark instantly roared to life.

I hate the dess setup and have fought these in snowmobiles for years. Nothing robust in it. BUT I also think it gets to much blame when dirty / corroded electrics are the culprit.

update: Replaced the DESS post and had a new key made. Boat started right up and went about a mile and again the boat turned off. I open up the engine hatch and pushed/wiggled the wiring harnesses going to the brain box. After the boat ran great and didn't turn off again. With that said I am going to unplug each harness and clean the terminals and check everything out. Most likely will not get this done until next spring as we are running out of time this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back