Decision

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary pope

Ok... I just picked up a pretty nice 97 sea doo gts in which I didn’t find out until I got it home that the guy bypassed the oil injection tank and took it completely out... I guess my question is how much work will be involved in re-installing a tank in her and running all the lines back? I know I need to reinstall the tank but where exactly do all the lines go to? Does anyone have a diagram?

1x Line will goto the oil pump located on engine stator cover. Another line goes to engine nipple located under the carbs. Then 3rd line goes to other engine nipple located on opposite side of engine of the nipple under carbs.

I believe the tank may also have a breather line that goes no where.

You can run the engine without the oil injection pump connected (you will need to premix). But you cannot run it without the 2 lines going to rotory valve inside engine (2 biggest lines coming off tank).

So what youre saying is in order for me to run this I need to put the oil tank back in it and at least connect the oil lines going to the Crank case then correct?

Most likely rotary valve oil lines were 'looped' together when oil pump was removed. (upper hose to lower hose) RV cavity MUST have lube.

Ok I just got done taking the motor out and tearing it down to find out the rotary valve gear is shot... I’m assuming this happened when he bypassed the oil tank? Correct me if I’m incorrect in thinking this. What’s the trick to getting the valve out? I took the snap ring off already. Is it pressed in? Oh yeah and when I split the crank cases, on one side it looked like mud in tgere, what’s that from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, another thing is in my speedster boat it has twin 657 x motors in her and each motor has twin carbs on it. This motor I’m currently working on from the 97 gts looks similar to the 657x but it only has a single carb. Which motor is this the 720 maybe?

Yeah I already split them and took the clip out from around the rotary shaft, what next? Is it pressed in?

Check to make sure the drive gear on the center of the crank didn't slide either way. It should be centered.

Ok, got it out. I took a 6mm bolt along with some of my parts from my ball joint/cv joint separator kit and got it out. Now time to give them a good clean bath and inspect them for cracks.

Am I correct to assume that the bronze gear most likely got all chewed up due to the fact that the idiot took the oil tank out which led tgere to be no oil in the crankcase. Tell me something, if you want to switch over to ore mix, shouldn’t you leave the oil tank in there and still keep oil in there to lubricate the lower end?

Yes, even pre mix you need the oil tank or at a minimum a loop line from one side to the other with a way to add oil.

If it were mine I would reinstall the oil injection. The seadoo system is super reliable and as stated you need oil to lube the rotary gear anyway.

Yeah that’s kinda what I thought.. so I’m gonna just clean everything up, check clearances and tolerances & put it back together then put the oil injection back in her and see what that gets me.

Ok quick question. While inspecting my crankshaft I notice that the gear on the crankshaft itself is off center. What can I do to move it over just a bit?i can’t figure out how to attach pics here...

Yep, it's over. Like I said a bearing puller and a press.

Here is a link to tapatalk. easiest way to post pics straight from your phone and flip thru the forum. The seadoforum actually has a tapatalk app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sea-doo-forum-for-pwc-enthusiasts/id1082915977?mt=8

One of these, and I think you can figure the rest out. Just watch where you press on the crank.

16.jpg

OK looks like I’m heading to the store to buy me a bearing press. One other question, what do I have to do in order to change the inner bearing’s?

You can't change the inner bearings at home, you need a big press, all the setup tools and lots of years experience truing multi piece cranks. It is not a DIY job. At this point you are better off getting a reman crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back