Crankshaft Position Sensor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nesnfred

Boating on Sunday, our starboard engine cuts out about 10 minutes from the dock, thankfully not too far. I spent the next hour swapping plugs (keep extra on the boat), checking all the fuses, etc. Nothing. Texted a buddy who said my symptoms sounded like a problem with my CPS. I didn't know what and where that was. Did some work on my boat in the spring and apparently I was not careful enough in reattaching the CPS wires, both engines.. They were laying against the exhaust on both engines, thankfully the one was the only one that melted all the way through. The port side was close though! Found some engine schematics that night. We were able to limp back to the dock on one engine. I was able to replace the one and tape up the other one. The sensor is on the back, bottom left side of the engine. If you are were looking at the engine from the back of the boat with an x-ray, the sensor is at 8 o'clock. It has an O ring to keep oil form leaking out and snaps in place with a single 8 mm bolt to remove. There is also another 8 mm bolt half way up holding the wire in place. Not easy to reach, especially the bottom one...you have to work it blind with your hand reading underneath. The port side is not too bad but the starboard has the port engine tucked up pretty close. For the starboard side you'll need to remove the port air intake tube. It blocks your ability to reach down to get that bottom bolt. I also removed the small hose on the bottom of the exhaust pipe on both sides to get a wrench on the middle bolt. I used a box end wrench for both. Small, tiny turns, lots of patience. For the middle bolt, I used a piece from the bottle jack to extend the wrench for some leverage to loosen. My problem was the slack between the second bolt and the power connection had flopped over onto the exhaust. Now I have a series of tie wraps holding both more securely. Now I know! Hope this helps someone else!

Other than the boat cutting out on you, what other symptoms led your buddy to come to the conclusion that the problem was the CPS?

Great question...it was the total absence of any other problem. Usually other issues have some problem: running rough, sluggish, overheating, etc...everything was running perfectly and then nothing. Because all my fuses were in tact and everything else appeared fine, it was likely the CPS. He was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back