Crankshaft position sensor 240 efi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrille

Hi.
were is it located?
if the engine wont start can that be the problem?
I once moved the throttle shaft arm by hand and the engine started up. if the position of the shaft arms is wrong should the engine start?
i moved the boat by trailer and since then it is dead. i found a couple of loose stopscrews. spark advance screw, idle stop screw and so on.
Can i check the timing without any instruments?
Once again a thousand questions.
//Chrille

Yes a crankshaft position sensor can cause the boat not to start. But you boat may or may not have one. What year is the boat? It says challenger 2000 in you profile, but with the challenger that could be the year, model, or both.

Before 2001 the 240 Mercury did not have a crankshaft position sensor, but used a trigger assembly mounted under the flywheel.

If you found a few loose parts, go through the manual and check the adjustment on the affected parts to make sure they are setup properly. An out of adjustment TPS or throttle could affect your starting. To check the timing you will need a timing light.

Aaron:cheers:

Yes a crankshaft position sensor can cause the boat not to start. But you boat may or may not have one. What year is the boat? It says challenger 2000 in you profile, but with the challenger that could be the year, model, or both.

Before 2001 the 240 Mercury did not have a crankshaft position sensor, but used a trigger assembly mounted under the flywheel.

If you found a few loose parts, go through the manual and check the adjustment on the affected parts to make sure they are setup properly. An out of adjustment TPS or throttle could affect your starting. To check the timing you will need a timing light.

Thanks man.
The boat are from the year 2000. I put my money on that trigger under the flyweel since the engine startded up just fine one after i moved the throttle arm around. And before the trailer transport.

I do not have any instruments at home but i will let the garage know about the trigger and timing so they don´t make any bigger job on the engine before checking it.

I really hope that´s the problem so i can get to the lake soon.
I will post what they found for other to know in the future.
//Chrille

Big Trouble

The garage don´t find whats wrong with it.
Seems to be a long summer without even had to try the boat on the water.
They ordered some instrument cable to be able to connect to a computer i just hope thats gonna help.

Also seems to be hard to get parts over here, 3 months for a highpressure fuel pump so i hope thats not going to fail.

Got it running yesterday idle a couple of secs, switched the engine of, and didn´t restart again. Not even a cough. i got sparks and fuel and compression but will not restart.
:(:(:(:(:(

What can be the problem??

I think the first thing you need to do is find a new shop!

The way you describe the symptoms it sounds like it may be a coolant temperature sensor (there are two), or a bad throttle position sensor (TPS).

Look in the M2 manual and search Temperature, and TPS and it will walk you through a few tests, as well as give you resistance value for the temp sensors.

Thanks again

I think the first thing you need to do is find a new shop!

The way you describe the symptoms it sounds like it may be a coolant temperature sensor (there are two), or a bad throttle position sensor (TPS).

Look in the M2 manual and search Temperature, and TPS and it will walk you through a few tests, as well as give you resistance value for the temp sensors.

I have ordered all three sensors. Might take a while to get them. There are no other shops around so thats the p.i.t.a.

If i change them my self do I need any instruments after that.
Should the engine start right up after i changed them if thats was the problem or do i need to go in and check or reset someting in the computer first?

Once again a big thanx.

Found IT!!

Finally found the problem.

The wires to the trigger was dried out and allmost cut off.
With a diagnostics program on a computer it was a piece of cake to foud out what was wrong. But to understand how the engine could run sometimes when the trigger is bad that made me confused.

Found that almost every wire was in really bad condition and with the cord out in the open they grounded the system sometimes..

So thanks for all help and hope someone else can be helped aswell.

:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back