Crank And CB Gears Making Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Klipsh

Hello, everyone.

I have a 951DI and I’m in the process of putting it back together. I got the bottom end assembled and I started manually moving the crank with the rods. And I noticed there’s a noise at a certain spot. I thought it was just the metal to metal contact from the CB to crank but I soon realized it was worse. I took it all apart and just lifted up the crank and cb. To make sure it wasn’t just a bit stuck somewhere. And I put it back together and just cranked it look at the video now.

IMG_5120.MOV

The crank is brand new WSM. The CB bearings are alright I guess one spins easier and the other one you kind of have to push more but it will spin. My only guess is that the teeth on the cb bent a bit when the thing locked up. Any feedback is appreciated

I can't view the video. If it is making noise all you can do is replace the counterbalance shaft or have it rebuilt. The shaft might be bent. If it is making noise now at 6K RPM it's gonna be a lot worse. If it is rubbing now you're likely gonna have metal in there at some point. I'd replace the balance shaft and be done with it.. Good Luck.

Can you view it now? And thanks for the advice. Maybe after you see the video there will be more to say. And I really don’t know how it’s supposed to sound. Maybe it makes that noise when it comes up faster?

I can't view the video. If it is making noise all you can do is replace the counterbalance shaft or have it rebuilt. The shaft might be bent. If it is making noise now at 6K RPM it's gonna be a lot worse. If it is rubbing now you're likely gonna have metal in there at some point. I'd replace the balance shaft and be done with it.. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Can you view it now? And thanks for the advice. Maybe after you see the video there will be more to say. And I really don’t know how it’s supposed to sound. Maybe it makes that noise when it comes up faster?
It's is gonna make a lot of noise at 6K RPM. Give a really good look at the gear on the crankshaft. You can put some bluing (dykem steel blue) on the gear teeth of the countershaft and turn both shafts together. The bluing will come off where the gears are touching. You should be able to see where they are making contact. Sounds to me like the countershaft is bent just a tad.

It might just be the gear but it is a "group" of teeth making the hard contact Which makes me say it is distorted/bent. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good used balance shaft. Eliminate the problem. Don't mess with it. Good Luck !!

It's is gonna make a lot of noise at 6K RPM. Give a really good look at the gear on the crankshaft. You can put some bluing (dykem steel blue) on the gear teeth of the countershaft and turn both shafts together. The bluing will come off where the gears are touching. You should be able to see where they are making contact. Sounds to me like the countershaft is bent just a tad.

It might just be the gear but it is a "group" of teeth making the hard contact Which makes me say it is distorted/bent. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good used balance shaft. Eliminate the problem. Don't mess with it. Good Luck !!
Bringing this thread back because the problem persists. I bought another CB and tested it out and the problem is replicated… The crank is a brand new WSM do you think it’s possible that the drive gear on the crank is misaligned?

It's hard to tell but it seems like maybe the gear is not lined up properly. It looks like the balance shaft gear is too far to the left, but it is hard to tell from this angle. I am not saying the balance shaft is the issue, but it (or the crank) may be positioned improperly in the case (I dont know how that could happen). That noise is not normal and not going away. You may want to contact WSM and have them look at the video. They have helped me a number of times in the past.
CRANK noise.PNG

Sorry to hear. Test it with the steel bluing. It doesn't take much to make a lot of noise. Gear could be running out on the crank or damaged... lots of things to check and test.

Well thanks to you both, the eBay seller has gone ghost mode nothing out of him. I sent a contact forum to WSM a week ago and nothing from them. Very frustrating for me as I’m 15 years old and can’t really justify buying a 700 dollar crank. But thanks anyways!

Well thanks to you both, the eBay seller has gone ghost mode nothing out of him. I sent a contact forum to WSM a week ago and nothing from them. Very frustrating for me as I’m 15 years old and can’t really justify buying a 700 dollar crank. But thanks anyways!
How long ago did you buy it? WSM has some issues with their cranks. Call (800)222-3375 and tell them what happens and see if they will help. If I paid you $700 to make a phone call, would you? If so, then make the call for yourself. The worst that can happen is they say no! You are 15, learn how to deal with issues like this now, it will help you for the rest of your life.

How long ago did you buy it? WSM has some issues with their cranks. Call (800)222-3375 and tell them what happens and see if they will help. If I paid you $700 to make a phone call, would you? If so, then make the call for yourself. The worst that can happen is they say no! You are 15, learn how to deal with issues like this now, it will help you for the rest of your life.
Unfortunately I bought a while back, sept of 2022 few days after I received it I broke my hip leaving me unable to pick the project up. I’ll try calling tomorrow. I am doubtful they will care.

Where is your old crankshaft? You could install that one and rotate it and see what it does. If it is making noise because of gear contact the Dkyem Steel Blue will reveal the location. The contact surface will be shiny and the rest of the part will be dull blue. You have to identify the source of the problem. If it is the crank then you have to call WSM and tell them the problem but you have to be sure it is the crankshaft.

NOTE: the key to the "bluing" is that it is THIN and drys instantly. The coat has to be very very thin or you'll get false readings.

The crank could be running out too much. If you have a dial indicator that would be a good check. Don't buy anything else. If the crank is the problem deal with WSM or the place where you purchased the crank. People here will help I am sure. Don't throw money at the problem. Keep at it and Good Luck !!

Another resource is a local machine shop. knock on the door and talk to the supervisor. If you are 15 he'll be impressed and surely help you out. You'll have an expert on the job and likely make a friend.

Another resource is a local machine shop. knock on the door and talk to the supervisor. If you are 15 he'll be impressed and surely help you out. You'll have an expert on the job and likely make a friend.
Replying to both of your messages,

It seems that I will be able to get a new crank now, the previous crank has a seized rod bearing can’t use it.

I made a friend a older guy that operates out his house he offered to help.

Thanks for the help.

Expensive but glad you made a friend. Sorry about the rod bearing. They sure are proud of those crankshafts. YIKEs !!!

Bummer. What was the problem? Crank running out/bent? What are you going to do with the crank? There is a shop in California you could send it to and it might not cost a full rebuild to fix.

Bummer. What was the problem? Crank running out/bent? What are you going to do with the crank? There is a shop in California you could send it to and it might not cost a full rebuild to fix.
I honestly don't know the issue. I think the crank is bent. The eBay seller wants the crank back. If it wasn't the case I would have got it rebuilt and sold it.

Back