RESTO Correct oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane0524

Just wanted to double check that this is the right oil for a carbed 787. The new bottle design confuses me.
d87eb4dbb4e0353fe1911f38780d45af.jpg

That is the only oil I use, but I recently talked to a knowledgeable owner of many Sea Doos who uses Mystik ashless. I searched this forum and found an old discussion. Any updated opinions on this product? It is about half the cost and supposedly meets the same standards.

Not to hijack the thread.... but after I drained the TW3 out that the previous owner had i switched to Mystik. I searched several forums and came to my own conclusion it would work for my ride. It meets the specifications set forth by Seadoo. Also in my research I cam across the thought that the biggest issues with oil and these engines other than the rotary valves is that even though they are water cooled they hail from air cooled designs and as such run hotter than a typical 2 stoke. So the oil needs to meet a high demand work load and heat range than most other 2 stokes oils can supply. Not sure if its all true but it did seem to make sense.

As long as the mystic is full synthetic it’s fine. I can’t remember if it is a full synthetic or a semi-synthetic. The Lucas is API-TC approved also but only a semi-synthetic.

Yep, you're right about confusing as if we need more, they chose a great label. But yes, that's the correct oil for a 2-stroke Rotax.

I definitely wouldn't use it in an $20k Johnnyrude e-tec outboard though, think of the poor sap who might.

An e-tec outboard should be using an outboard oil like this one:

Evinrude_XD50.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, you're right about confusing as if we need more, they chose a great label. But yes, that's the correct oil for a 2-stroke Rotax.

I definitely wouldn't use it in an $20k Johnnyrude e-tec outboard though, think of the poor sap who might.

Tell me about it. They really need to stop changing the name and bottles all the time, it’s so confusing.

Now they even have a racing oil that’s premix only. Red and black bottle.

Not to hijack the thread.... but after I drained the TW3 out that the previous owner had i switched to Mystik. I searched several forums and came to my own conclusion it would work for my ride. It meets the specifications set forth by Seadoo. Also in my research I cam across the thought that the biggest issues with oil and these engines other than the rotary valves is that even though they are water cooled they hail from air cooled designs and as such run hotter than a typical 2 stoke. So the oil needs to meet a high demand work load and heat range than most other 2 stokes oils can supply. Not sure if its all true but it did seem to make sense.

Yes, you're on the right track. API-TC is an air-cooled LOW-ASH 2-stroke engine oil. I doubt you'll find a better one for the application, cheaper maybe but XPS-2 is priced well enough for me. I use the XPS-2 synthetic in all my air-cooled 2-strokes and couldn't be happier as I've had no failures. Most of these are antique now, or worth practically nothing in the used market, it's not as if I'm using it in a $3,000 100cc Stihl chainsaw with fuel injection. I brush my teeth with it (Joke).

But for my old beater 2-strokes that I tend to collect, the Seadoo SPX 2 has been a blessing, can't recall the last time I had a piston melt or bearing seize on one of these old clunkers since I began mixing with XPS-2 full syn. 32:1 ratio for anything that runs rod needle bearings.

Then it’s fine, just don’t mix 2 different brands especially if you are in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back