Correct Idle Speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the correct idle speed for a 2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec ? My boat is currently idling at 1800 rpm which seems high. Makes it difficult to dock as I have to alternate between forward & neutral to slow the boat speed down while coming into the dock. Thanks.

That sounds pretty close to what I have with my 230. Check on another forum I’m on says 1,800 is the norm. I’ll try to pay closer attention this weekend.

What is the correct idle speed for a 2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec ? My boat is currently idling at 1800 rpm which seems high. Makes it difficult to dock as I have to alternate between forward & neutral to slow the boat speed down while coming into the dock. Thanks.
Normal. And neutral isn't really neutral, it's normal for the boat to move forward in neutral. So typically I'm going between neutral and reverse while near the dock, unless i need to quickly move forward. For instance, when I'm lined up to get onto the trailer while the wind and or current is moving the boat sideways.

Normal. And neutral isn't really neutral, it's normal for the boat to move forward in neutral. So typically I'm going between neutral and reverse while near the dock, unless i need to quickly move forward. For instance, when I'm lined up to get onto the trailer while the wind and or current is moving the boat sideways.

Thanks for your reply. Not sure why the idle speed can't be lowered to make it easier to dock, guess there is a good reason Ski Doo want's it so high.

Hey john good to see you on here. Yeah, 1800 is normal. Once you get used to a never truly neutral, docking becomes 2nd nature and actually easier on these boats.

You can tweek you reverse bucket up or down depending which way the boat is moving in neutral
Just adjust the cable end 1 turn at a time
It’ll take time but you should get it close to being neutral is neutral

Turn end piece in if boat moves back in neutral

1570101986464.png

The idle speed can't really be lowered because the jet pump is tapped for the cooling water flow for the exhaust system. If the idle speed was low it would not be enough water flow to keep the exhaust at a safe temperature while idling. This is paraphrased from info in the shop manual on the topic.

I also suspect that the cam profiles and timing are heavily optimized for maximizing power output at high RPMs and probably the engine would run lousy at low RPMs even if you could do it. This is just speculation.

Hey john good to see you on here. Yeah, 1800 is normal. Once you get used to a never truly neutral, docking becomes 2nd nature and actually easier on these boats.
Thanks for your reply. I'm slowly getting used to no true neutral. I alternate between forward & neutral when approaching a dock. Seem to work.

Your spark plug on left looks oily/black other one looks good
Do a compression check , you may need to pull the carbs off for a rebuild but check compression first and check the cylinder with black plug has spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back