Contemplating spare engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a 717 IMO a spare engine makes a little bit of sense because they are quite reasonable, although they are pretty hard to kill...

787's run a little more, and are a little easier to kill.

951's IMO are pretty expensive "spares" but probably the most needed.

I couldn't afford a spare for either of my ski's.... each would run $2500+, screw that... and yes, I find it easier to have a spare ski, I have two and ride one when I want to go fast, and another when I want to go far, and I always have a loaner so when somebody I know (relatives mostly) wants to ride I can make it happen. I'm actually contemplating selling one of my spares but its only to get some cash together to buy a better spare, which will run about 7K and I don't want to dump that much into it until I sell one :)

I have three good 717's right now. I'm stacked because I got two good ones from a 97 Speedster. It probably takes $75 in shipping and Paypal fees so I would say $325 in person. This does not include carb/carbs though.

SPXPOS- You should snap that deal up. Not sure if it's an HX or Blaster but well worth it either way. Both those are still relevant racers in the IJSBA so there are people willing to drive and pay.

Matt, it's an HX not sure if it's a 95 or 96, so he wanted like $800+ with the trailer with s busted bunk, got him down to $600 total.. Clear title, I HEARD it run, will be doing the compression test this weekend. IF it checks out, I'm gonna scoop it up..
Matt, it's got the 717 in it like mine, but being the type of ski it is, with mid/end shaft or whatever they call it, what is ACCEPTABLE compression on that ski? Like where's the line where I WONT need a top end rebuild? Here's the ski, clean title, etc.. Kinda nasty inside, but so was mine, and I worked miracles on it.. Also, what is supposed to go/went in that blank area to the right of the battery? Looks like it's where a battery SHOULD go,, he said he thinks it was a storage bin.
Thanks for all the help.. Didn't mean to jack the thread, but I may have a "spare" engine for the OP if compression is no good, then I can give it to you for dirt bc I will offer the seller even less

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 19
[MENTION=48897]96spxpos[/MENTION]

Part the SPX out and ride the HX-sooooooooooooo much better of a ski with that engine in it. That HX will cut through chop like a knife, the suspension seat just soaks up the bumps. I bet you'd be three or more ski lengths ahead of the SPX going through chop.

Or get it for 5 and just sell it to me for seven.

I have had 717's "seem" to run ok at 115 compression but they don't start or idle well in the water at that stage. I would consider it still a rider (although tired) at 125psi.

Racer!!! W....T.......F?!?!? I just put SO much work into that spx.. You're making me not sleep tonight I bet!!!
Funny, if you go back to my earliest posts from 2011, I always was basically obsessed with the HX newer xp's styles
And now's my Chance..
What is SUPPOSED to go in that empty area in the front right of that hull?
It appears a lot of the stuff is the same.. Even thee box. I think if I combine the two, keep. Some spare parts and mint out the HX and scrap the spx, I might finally have what I want.
But I noticed things like that plastic rail that wraps around the front of the seat it like loose. It's gonna need some tlc.. Like that handlebar pad too has the old purple coming thru so I can tell he painted it

Matt, it's an HX not sure if it's a 95 or 96, so he wanted like $800+ with the trailer with s busted bunk, got him down to $600 total.. Clear title, I HEARD it run, will be doing the compression test this weekend. IF it checks out, I'm gonna scoop it up..
Matt, it's got the 717 in it like mine, but being the type of ski it is, with mid/end shaft or whatever they call it, what is ACCEPTABLE compression on that ski? Like where's the line where I WONT need a top end rebuild? Here's the ski, clean title, etc.. Kinda nasty inside, but so was mine, and I worked miracles on it.. Also, what is supposed to go/went in that blank area to the right of the battery? Looks like it's where a battery SHOULD go,, he said he thinks it was a storage bin.
Thanks for all the help.. Didn't mean to jack the thread, but I may have a "spare" engine for the OP if compression is no good, then I can give it to you for dirt bc I will offer the seller even less

The empty space is where the oil tank used to be. He's got it set for pre-mix. The only storage bin on an HX is the purple fire extinguisher tube under the hood.

130.jpg

I'm following 96spxpos. This thread turned out to be full of great info. Keep it up.

Ok cool Brian.. I don't particularly like jacking threads, but I think either way, by Sunday, we'll know if you'll be getting a dirt cheap "spare" engine or not (I have this weird affinity for giving away parts for free, then needing them 2 years later and kickin myself)

Oh ok, I knew he went to premix, and I'm glad the battery REALLY does mount there. He has a black piece of foam over the battery, so I thought it might not have belonged there.

Ok, so, is that bad news then?? I converted to premix the CORRECT way and still kept my tank with some oil and two lines ran for the RV bath.. So I need to check to see if he looped the lower right and upper left hose then, right? Or is this RV ready to blow?

Racer!!! W....T.......F?!?!? I just put SO much work into that spx.. You're making me not sleep tonight I bet!!!
Funny, if you go back to my earliest posts from 2011, I always was basically obsessed with the HX newer xp's styles
And now's my Chance..
What is SUPPOSED to go in that empty area in the front right of that hull?
It appears a lot of the stuff is the same.. Even thee box. I think if I combine the two, keep. Some spare parts and mint out the HX and scrap the spx, I might finally have what I want.
But I noticed things like that plastic rail that wraps around the front of the seat it like loose. It's gonna need some tlc.. Like that handlebar pad too has the old purple coming thru so I can tell he painted it

LOL, yep. Yeah, it looks like he painted all that trim around the seat and the bar pad. The black seat trim is PRICEY when you can find it. The guy probably re-used the Christmas tree studs instead of replacing them when he took it apart or didn't put all the fasteners back maybe. The Christmas trees are those little things that look like--a Christmas tree that help hold the door panels on your car door. I got mine a Lowe's. I painted all my rub rail black with Krylon fusion. Check out my HX thread in my sig line. I cleaned mine up with super clean. I love the little hull, it's like an 85hp toothpick. I can get roughly 55 miles to a tank.

Yes check the RV loop lines, I hate that. I want to see the level in the tank at all times, even on pre-mix.

Thnx racer, I'm the same way.. Ppl think I'm nuts for doing this, but not only did I keep my tank in, I also didn't wanna mess with or "jump/short" the electricals for the oil level sensor, and I didn't like the red low oil light on the gauge, so my tank's pretty filled even though I'm premixed.

So, if he DIDNT loop the line, would he have just plugged the inlet holes? If so, is that bad news for the RV?

Yep, not good if they are just plugged, but They're probably looped. That is one thing you will have to get used to, no gauges on the HX--NADA, ZIP, ZERO, NOTHING. Although, you could take the ones from your SPX and wire them into your E-box, should be plug and play, but you need to extend your wires.

Sorry for the SUPER thread jack Brian :grouphug:

Ahh! Read the heck outta your thread! iPads at 2 percent, I'll finish the last page tomorrow! Sick! I honestly wanna LICK the shine on that HX! (Joking)... Amazing job! Yea I heard (I think in your thread )I'd have to extend the baffle and get some more wires to ebox and get the oil sensor and all that. If it was as simple as just swapping out and running the existing gauge wired into the hx ebox I'd do it. As long as it AT LEAST has a buzzer on it for overheating, which dude said it did, I'd be ok with that

Last edited by a moderator:
And honestly, I don't know how good it'd be for your knees, but I really liked the plain aluminum under the seat rail.. Is that what's under all that loose broken Xmas tree stuff on the one I'm picking up?
Ps.. I CAN NOT believe you used the word "ducketts"! Awesome

And to be honest, I set my trim in the middle manually on my spx, and the analog vts gauge showed my trim in the middle two years ago, then when I just took it out on sunday, it set in the same place but the needle was slammed all the way UP, and the gas gauge has those digital bars and I never felt they were reliable anyway, so I never really relied on the gauge too much anyway, so I think I'll be ok without the gas gauge on the hx

Ok cool Brian.. I don't particularly like jacking threads, but I think either way, by Sunday, we'll know if you'll be getting a dirt cheap "spare" engine or not (I have this weird affinity for giving away parts for free, then needing them 2 years later and kickin myself)
Don't worry my affinity is throwing them away when I get in a anal cleaning mode. Bad habit.

Yep, not good if they are just plugged, but They're probably looped. That is one thing you will have to get used to, no gauges on the HX--NADA, ZIP, ZERO, NOTHING. Although, you could take the ones from your SPX and wire them into your E-box, should be plug and play, but you need to extend your wires.

Sorry for the SUPER thread jack Brian :grouphug:
It's all good boy's

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413635288257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413635288257.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 11
So, in the spirit of keeping his thread high jacking going (thanks Brian:thumbsup:) I think I may have a LITTLE bit of discouraging news regarding the HX. You guys tell me what you think... Only because I have [MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION] 's voice in the back of my head from every time he's told people about needing this, but I'm meeting the guy at 11am to drop him a deposit then going back Wednesday with the hitch to pick it up, but, I just was texting with him, and he's a "ski mechanic" so I figured he would've known this, but it kinda threw up a red flag:
Racer told me the empty space in the hull was from where the oil tank USED to be..so I asked him, "so, since it's premix, and the tank is gone, how is that RV / bath getting lubed? Is the lower and return looped with hose like it should be then, or are the hose inlets just plugged or is there just NOTHING?"

And he wrote back "hmmm good point, I'd have to look"
So I wrote back, "ok because [MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION] specifically says (kidding) I KNOW that it should be tanked still or looped, so I'm just HOPING nothing's damaged"
So he wrote back, " yea that's the way it should be done, and there's no damage, otherwise it wouldn't run"..

So, is this BAD news if it's not looped correctly and just blocked off or has NOTHING, just the hoses off?

If so, since it's still running, as long as I loop it ASAP will it be fine?
Thanks guys! [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION]

I can still see lines in the pics you posted, but no telling where they go. You're just going to have to go look at it and make your best assessment. In the next sentence I'll be busting you're chops.......Remember when you said you just text and say "I'll give you $500, today, in an hour", this is why you don't do that. Pics are great but a full inspection is required, you just don't know what the PO did before you. In the pic I can see the pump supply line with the filter attached and a large RV oil line cable tied next to it. If I look close enough I THINK I see something wedged in the line blocking it. I's ASSUME the other side has the same.

attachment.php

Bawawawawa! Yea I saw that line with the oil filter. That's why I was hoping he didn't just "snip the tip" and be done with it.
So if that snipped end with the filter is plugged that means the low side is all good, I'd just have to check the return line in the other side, right? Just making sure it's not left open/unplugged?

Well, [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] I did kinda stick to my rules somewhat.. I texted the guy, I was in there within a few hours, but my stupid @ss went straight from work with my car, and not my truck with the hitch.
And this time, I came back to "consult" with you guys, mainly you, bc I don't have any experience with the HX.
Moral of the story is, I'm not wasting the guy's time. He wanted $600 for the ski, no trailer, and an extra $250 for the trailer. I then texted him after I checked in with you guys, and told him, if you can't get rid of it, what are you looking to get for both? And he stated it was a clear titled, RUNNING, operational ski and trailer, he wanted $750, and got him down to $600 for all of it.

Oh [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] , here's 2 pics from the front. That's the trailer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea that's the one..well, keep in mind, this is pending making sure the title is legit and the compression test checks out when I pick it up.. I know, most people would say, bro, even with a blown motor, that's worth it for the ski and the trailer...
To me, that would just be another hull sitting around for $600
So, we'll see what happens.
Tbh, I was shocked when it was still available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back