Color change....maybe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanding for me is not an issue. Try polishing a copper top of a 600G still from raw hammered copper to mirror perfection, 120 through 3000grit then polishing compounds start. Kinda gets me into a zen place now when I have to do it.

I mainly used 150 grit on prep, 80 will work if you have some heavy scratches you want to feather out, or when you work the foot wells over. I die grinded out and filled all 80+ rivet holes, then prepped for gelcoat. I recommend removing the rub rail, easy to reattach later. If rolling on, it needs at least 3 coats to hide the old because of the sanding to get it smooth. You'll see in my thread how I paced doing a section at a time and about a pint at a time. It sets up quick, ambient temp can impact application, not too cold or hot, just follow the mixing guidelines. I found out that a pint at a time is about right because you've got only about 10 min after added the MEKP before it gels.

Nothing is reusable, so cheap plastic pans and 4" rollers. Agitate with the drill, pour in the pan, mix the catalyst in, apply, then throw away the pan and roller, wait about 30-40 min then repeat for another coat. Next day start getting the waxy coating off, rough paper, wet sanding with 150 grit. Start working with 400 grit when pitting is minimal, then final sand up to 1500 to 2000. I used a 2" air sander ($22) that'll run all day set at 50 psi, assortment hook and loop pads are fairly cheap.

FGCI | Fiberglass Coatings sells brushable gelcoat, you'll need a gallon to do either a bottom or top, cost about $100, includes enough MEKP. I did both the top and bottom on the GTX, no amount of wet sanding could bring the brightness out on the white like a fresh coat does. My 96' GSX was really bad on top, so fresh coat on that one with the white also, bottom was partial down the middle. With a lot of patience the results are rewarding, it's like a new ski when done. From stripped to bare hull to on the water, took me a year on each ski, some overlap with the GTX and GSX when I did it. Good time to start is end of season and strive to be ready for the next season.

20190210_183121.jpg

20190602_112524.jpg

Hook me up with the brand of epoxy paint I need and how much. Black. Help is very much appreciated. Is this stuff 2 stage??

If you want cheap and easy just get the appliance epoxy from Home Depot.

If you want automotive paint get epoxy primer then either single stage black or base clear. I like southern polyurethane paint a lot.

For most durable do the gel coat.

I don’t really like the boat paint like Awlgrip but that’s just me.

I'd like the most durable paint that I don't have to sand. :) I don't want to paint but I have to.

The most durable and not sand is going to be an epoxy marine paint, just like they use on big yachts and sail boats. It flows out pretty well too with a "roll and tip method"

I'm looking at the gray/silver on the 2000 RX. I'm not sure it will polish out. I tried a bit but I'm getting no luster at all. I was expecting the color to come back.

I'm looking at the gray/silver on the 2000 RX. I'm not sure it will polish out. I tried a bit but I'm getting no luster at all. I was expecting the color to come back.
THe seadoo silver is very strange and I have not seen it come back like the solid colors. You can get is shiny by buffing but it will not pop again like when it was new. Probably has something to do with the metal flake in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back