Choke or Throttle problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveinPatch

I have a 2002 SeaDoo Sportster with Rotax engine. Just bought at the end of last year. Took it out when I bought it. Ran great. Now this year when I start up it stays running wide open like maybe the choke is stuck. Note it is running great, only wide open and won't go down to idle. I opened the air intake cover and the two flanged are in the open position. And the choke is not pulled out and the throttle is in idle position. All the mechanics in my area are booked for weeks. Can anyone help please to troubleshoot. Thanks. Dave

Attachments

• 6-17-22-1.jpg
    6-17-22-1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 10
I could be wrong so please correct me if I am. But when the choke is pulled, the 2 (one on each carb) top butterfly valves close. In the case. They look open therefore your choke is open. If idle is high, peak inside through and past the 1st butterfly valve and look at the bottom butterfly valves, check if they're both evenly open the same amount. I dont know much, I just got into boats myself. In fact I just and still am fixing stuff myself (whatever I'm able to do). Are the 02s fuel injected now or are these still carburetors? If they're not carburetors then void everything I said.

It is possible that the throttle plates are out of alignment,,,they would have to be way out!..if they match then you have either a lean condition,,,in the cases,,,carb gaskets,or the fuel delivery system ,,petcock,,,or carb internals

Normally the choke butterflies will be open all the way, and close when you pull the choke control. If they are closed during anything other than starting the engine won't run. The choke butterflies are closest to the air box. The choke is not your problem.

I would check the throttle linkage and return spring. A boat is different than a ski in that the throttle should stay in the position where you place it, not automatically return to idle. There is a friction control on the bottom of the control lever. The control lever pulled towards the back of the boat should close the throttle levers and return the engine to idle.

You should verify that the carburetor throttle levers move exactly the same as the throttle control at the operator's seat. Any stutter or stick should be thoroughly investigated and repaired. Look for things like linkage breakage or cable tie ends that are not trimmed and in the way.

The throttle spring should pull the throttles closed if there is any break in the linkage. You might disconnect the throttle cable and verify the throttles work freely and return to closed. No need to start the engine to make these tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back