chirping/squeaking at full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiktsi

Here's one for you guys. My 08 Speedster 150 with the 215 hp supercharged motor has a continual chirp chirp chirp sound at full throttle. At first, I thought it sounded like it was something squeaking around the helm, but the more I pay attention, I believe it is coming from behind me. Hard to tell for sure since the wind noise is so great at speed.

I also don't recall it being there the first few times I have run it. I know the manual said something about inspecting the supercharger clutch at 10 hours, is it possible it is loose and causing a slip at full throttle?

I was going to perform the 10 hour maintenance myself since my local dealer is about as incompetent as can be, so if there is anything I should look out for let me know.

Oh yeah- also- does anyone know what the boost PSI should be in stock form on this? Thanks
Joe

Joe, I haven't heard anyone else mention the chirp. Hopefully someone will chime in here to help out. I look into the boost psi and get back to you.

Karl

No problem guys, if anyone has any ideas let me know. The thing that is odd is it is about the speed of a cars belt "chirping" at idle (you know, when they just chirp once per revolution vs. a squeeling belt), which is screwing me up. Something that is spinning 8000rpms having a "slow" chirp like that. I was wondering if it was the supercharger clutch slipping and re-engaging at high RPM or something weird like that.

Well, next time you run it, run it like you stole it ...it's under warranty. :rofl:

I like how you think. I do that anyway though :D. Is there a supercharger clutch inspection that gets done at the 10 hour mark, or am I confused? I thought I read it in the manual, but am too many beers into the night to feel like walking outside to grab the manual from the boat right now :).

Also- do you know what the purpose of the clutch is on the supercharger? Does it slip to limit boost? Does it allow it to slip when you let off to prevent compressor surge? What?? Thanks, as usual!
Joe

I'll have to grab the manual as well. I beleive that it has a clutch to keep up with the rpm change. I'll check into it tomorrow and have exact answers for you...Drinking on a Monday...it must of been a crazy one.

Karl

I'll have to grab the manual as well. I beleive that it has a clutch to keep up with the rpm change. I'll check into it tomorrow and have exact answers for you...Drinking on a Monday...it must of been a crazy one.

Karl

Lol, not too crazy- just been busting my rear with the house trying to get everything in order before the baby is born (sept). We ordered all new furniture, new carpets, all the baby's stuff, etc. Problem is the furniture got here almost 3 weeks before the carpet and I pulled up the old stuff about 2 weeks before it got here- so the house was a complete disaster for about 3 weeks- bare plywood floors, all our furniture piled in the dining room, all our crap packed in boxes, etc. Carpets were installed Friday, so I'm trying to get it all in order along with getting yard work done in my "spare" time between rain and bugs lol. I need a beer or 12 by the end of the day :D.
Joe

WOW, you got you hands full. I guess you can't wait for the weekends to have boat fun. Have one on me...:cheers:
Karl

chirp or beep?

It's not a beep code warning you it's overheating is it? Manual says continuous beeping is just that.

It's not a beep code warning you it's overheating is it? Manual says continuous beeping is just that.

No, much quieter than that. Sounds exactly like a belt chirping at idle on a car. Not that loud at all, but just loud enough to annoy the crap out of you at times.

Hey Karl, find anything out on the supercharger clutch? I looked in the manual and it says nothing about inspecting it at the 10 hour mark. I was just curious if maybe that is what is making the squeaking noise. Checked my dealer, and as usual, they are absolutely clueless. Didn't even know what oil to sell me. First tried to sell me the 5-40 synthetic, then the 2 stroke mineral oil, then when I mentioned it being a 4 stroke told me "it's all the same". Like I said- absolutely, undeniably clueless... Yet they again said Sea Doo would not honor the warranty on any engine work if THEY didn't do all the service work. Come on- I was more capable of taking better care of this boat then they are at 5 years old lol..

Do you change the oil filter o-rings every time, or is it more of an inspect before replacing kind of thing? I was going to buy them just to have but didn't have the part numbers you gave me on me today and the parts guy said he couldn't find them listed hahahaha.

Uh....about that dealer next time you go by it... do just that RUN!!!!!What a bunch of a** Holes! Did I give you the information on the correct oil...I think I post too much...lol NO Synthetic! Is there another dealer near by? You can go to the site and get another platinum dealer..." www.seadoo.com " Click on dealer locator...add zip code. It shows map, directions, web site,phone numbers and hours of operation. I would buy the "o" rings and keep them on hand. I have a special vendor I found for 2) filters 2) sets of 3 "o" rings for like $39.00 off the INTERNET, if you interested. dealers get 20.00 just for 1 filter here. Is it possible to have someone navigate the boat while you peek under the sun deck to locate the chirp? It sounds like something is in the supercharger...leaf...dead frog...some of those "water bugs" ...lol

Let me know if you want to order the "filter kit", I'll send ya the info.

Too bad your not in Florida...we got a "Florida SeaDoo Party" in the making, here, in my back yard. ( well not in my backyard...the ICW)

Karl

Uh....about that dealer next time you go by it... do just that RUN!!!!!What a bunch of a** Holes! Did I give you the information on the correct oil...I think I post too much...lol NO Synthetic! Is there another dealer near by? You can go to the site and get another platinum dealer..." www.seadoo.com " Click on dealer locator...add zip code. It shows map, directions, web site,phone numbers and hours of operation. I would buy the "o" rings and keep them on hand. I have a special vendor I found for 2) filters 2) sets of 3 "o" rings for like $39.00 off the INTERNET, if you interested. dealers get 20.00 just for 1 filter here. Is it possible to have someone navigate the boat while you peek under the sun deck to locate the chirp? It sounds like something is in the supercharger...leaf...dead frog...some of those "water bugs" ...lol

Let me know if you want to order the "filter kit", I'll send ya the info.

Too bad your not in Florida...we got a "Florida SeaDoo Party" in the making, here, in my back yard. ( well not in my backyard...the ICW)

Karl

Sure, I'd be interested in the link if you want to PM it to me or post here. Certainly a better deal than going to the dealership.

I'm going to look to see who else is around, out this way I doubt I'll find any competent shops anyway- not many bright people in NE PA lol. Like I said, just ironic that SeaDoo would rather they work on the boat than myself. I have more mechanical ability and knowledge in my pinky than most of them will ever have..

There you go, rubbing the FL thing in some more :(. I would love some kind of get together. Around here, it seems all my interests are just me- nobody is into cars, boats, RC stuff, etc. Just a bunch of mountain morons lol. I'm serious- the people around here make the "rednecks" in FL look like sophisticated rocket scientists!! Half of them you'd swear are completely smashed 24/7- then you realize they are stone sober, they're just that belligerent!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeks we have more in common than I thought...I'm into Cars...own a 06 Dodge RT/ HEMI... Modified a bit. My son and I have a RC dirt track in out back yard for our Nitro Monster trucks. Than the boat thing...I'm a NAUI Certified Dive Master, and own 3 boats to boot. You should move back...lol

Karl

Yeks we have more in common than I thought...I'm into Cars...own a 06 Dodge RT/ HEMI... Modified a bit. My son and I have a RC dirt track in out back yard for our Nitro Monster trucks. Than the boat thing...I'm a NAUI Certified Dive Master, and own 3 boats to boot. You should move back...lol

Karl

Very nice. I just sold an 05 GTO with a twin turbo setup that put 795/806 to the wheels. I currently have an 05 Vette (stock for now) and a 99 Porsche 911 (996), also stock. The Vette will probably get sold late this season or beginning of next to get a "dad" car though. I have had numerous modified cars over the years though.

For RC cars- I have a GS Storm 1/8 buggy (cheap and fun to bash), Revo with a 3.3 conversion, Traxxas Rustler VXL with a 3 cell lipo- stupid fast for what it is lol, Associated RC 10GT, Traxxas 4 tech with a 3.3 in it too- blistering fast to the point of being useless and uncontrollable at full throttle :) and probably a couple others. I also have about 5 boats and a few electric planes.
Joe

I've got a Revo 2.5R(couple years old) My son has a Traxxas Smax converted to a Tmax. and a HPI Evo. Stadium Truck...just fot giggles. I have enough spear parts to have 3 more total trucks... the difference between men and boys.....you know the line...:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back