Charging problem Seadoo Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulker19

I have a 2005 Seadoo Sportster will the 215 horsepower 4 Tec engine I wasn't getting charging to the battery so I bought a brand new regulator and then it still didn't work so I found the blown 30 amp fuse and changed that still no charging so I checked the stator out of the stator on the three yellow wires I got 22 volts between them with .04 ohms of resistance going to the regulator out of the regulator on the black and red wires I'm supposed to have 14 to 15 volts I get 1.2 volts with a brand new regulator can anyone help me figure out why I'm still not getting 15 volts DC on the black and red wires

It is possible to have a bad regulator/rectifier, new out of the box. It would appear, from your reported diagnostics that it might be your case. Just to be sure, though, re-check all your connections to make certain that everything is secure, and no wires in the connector blocks are pulled out.

Thank you for your response I'm going to re-check my ohms reading when I get home from work NFL my ohms reading are correct I'll have to conclude that the new regulator is bad hard to believe

I have one more thing to add the yellow wires when I first tried this got super hot and that 30 amp fuse was blown any idea what caused that

I have one more thing to add the yellow wires when I first tried this got super hot and that 30 amp fuse was blown any idea what caused that

Probably from the regulator being bad and not regulating......too much current for the wire size as a result..... You may also want to consider replacing the fuse holder for the 30 amp fuse. When I found mine blown, it was melted inside the fuse holder.

I have a 2005 Seadoo Sportster will the 215 horsepower 4 Tec engine I wasn't getting charging to the battery so I bought a brand new regulator and then it still didn't work so I found the blown 30 amp fuse and changed that still no charging so I checked the stator out of the stator on the three yellow wires I got 22 volts between them with .04 ohms of resistance going to the regulator out of the regulator on the black and red wires I'm supposed to have 14 to 15 volts I get 1.2 volts with a brand new regulator can anyone help me figure out why I'm still not getting 15 volts DC on the black and red wires

You may want to disconnect the black wire from the battery and take an ohm reading on the red and black wires from the regulator, there may be an problem elsewhere like an intermittent short.

Incidentally, your Avatar is quite distracting!,..... :thumbs-up::thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

if there's any resistance at all at the connector, like corrosion between the pin joints, those wires will get very hot- my stator wires melted the connector- i literally cut the connector out and soldiered / heat shrunk the joints- no issues since.

Attachments

• 20190706_090256.jpg
    20190706_090256.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
Thank you all for replying. The problem was the brand new regulator that I bought the manufacturer put it together wrong the black and red wires were installed in the connector backwards so it shorted out that regulator and I didn't notice it till it was too late so I've since bought a new regulator and this one is put together correctly however before putting the 30 amp fuse in I checked the voltage from the batteries negative to the regulator side of the fuse holder and I get 19 1/2 volts which seems a little high to me does anyone have any thoughts should I just plug in the 30 amp fuse and hope that it works a side note I have 22 and a half volts ac coming out of the stator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back