Change out the grabs on the Seadoo shift throttle/control?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBaum

Anyone try to change out the top attachments on the highly-common, straight-stick throttle controls?

I see that Seadoo, in 2011/12 changed they shift/throttle controls a bit and made them significantly more user-friendly. I particularly hate that all prior models were just long, straight sticks and don't fit a hand easily. We should be using our fingers and palms to grab the controls, not the V in between our thumb and fore-finger. the old stick design is just plain horrible.....clearly Seadoo felt the needed to change the design to be more improved and more normal for what a boater expects.

Here is the updated design (before, of course, they went to iST controls):
seadoo1.PNG

But, I am thinking a person could add to the old-style, existing sticks by unscrewing the existing cap things and then mount a car shift-knob perpendicularly to the stick (at the top, in place of the existing caps). Perhaps something like these all-aluminum shift knobs (about $8 each):

seadoo2.PNGseadoo4.PNGseadoo3.PNG

Seems like an easy mod that would actually be of some use and look decent too. Clearly Seadoo thought the mod was a good idea...they basically did the same thing....but even if their newer parts would fit the old sticks (they don't, btw), Seadoo's parts cost hundreds of $$$.

Anyone do something similar? I searched up and down this whole site and Google and could find nothing.

Last edited:
Just go straight to Ultraflex and see if they will sell direct. If I remember correctly, they supplied them to Seadoo

The sticks on the 2012+ ones are different sizes and shapes.. so the 2012+ handles/grabs wouldn't fit the earlier Seadoo sticks.

and even if they did, Seadoo, for example, wants $400-800 (I forget at this moment without looking up) juuuust for the aluminum billet gear handle... so I can't imagine Ultraflex being as low as $200 or so.. which is most I would be willing to spend for something like this.

But, good suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back