Challenger - Trailer Tires

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker29

What size of tire does everyone have on your boat trailers? I have a 2010 Challenger 180 with a Karavan Trailer. The sticker on the trailer recommends 185/80D 13, but those seem to be a little large for the trailer. Have had a few fenders blown off with some radials of the same size.

I think I'm going to switch to 175/80R 13 as they are a little smaller and seem to fit better.

Just curious if anyone else is seeing these types of issues.

Last edited:
What size of tire does everyone have on your boat trailers? I have a 2010 Challenger 180 with a Karavan Trailer. The sticker on the trailer recommends 185/80D 13, but those seem to be a little large for the trailer. Have had a few fenders blown off with some radials of the same size.

I think I'm going to switch to 175/80R 13 as they are a little smaller and seem to fit better.

Just curious if anyone else is seeing these types of issues.

My 210 SE is a tandem trailer and my tires are the same as yours. I towed it from Florida to Ontario and had no issues.

Thanks for the replys! My trailer is a single axle, so with the 175's at a 1360 load rating I'm worried I'm cutting it a little close. Boat weights roughly 2000lbs and the trailer weighs 500lbs. Puts me at 2500 with the load rating at 2720lbs (both tires combined) for those tires. Guessing the tongue weight will help me a little as that eliminates about 250lbs.

Probably just being paranoid, but I thought I'd ask the group.

Be pushing 4500lbs fully loaded.
My trailer is a tandem.
I am not a trailer expert by any means, but it looks like you should be good to go with 175's load C on your tandem at that weight. I did see a handful of 175's that are load D that look interesting.

What brands are you looking at? I recently did a comparison 13 tire models for the 5.3-12 on the karavan trailer for my 150, and Carlisle and Kenda (best two brands for my size) make ST145/12 radial tires (very close to 5.3-12) with max load of 1520lbs, so I'd imagine you could find some some heavier loads. I actually just checked and Carlisle makes the Radial Trail HD in a ST175/80/R13 with a load rating of 1570LBs.

What brands are you looking at? I recently did a comparison 13 tire models for the 5.3-12 on the karavan trailer for my 150, and Carlisle and Kenda (best two brands for my size) make ST145/12 radial tires (very close to 5.3-12) with max load of 1520lbs, so I'd imagine you could find some some heavier loads. I actually just checked and Carlisle makes the Radial Trail HD in a ST175/80/R13 with a load rating of 1570LBs.
Good info on the ST 145/12's... had not considered that option. I will check it out. Are the bolt patterns the same?

I am fairly open on brand... but I agree that Carlisle and Kenda seem to be some of the better brands. Rainier is an up and coming brand that I have had good luck with in the past, so I'm looking at them as well.

Last edited:
I just read this and am going through the same decision process. On my previous trailer I upgraded from original bias ply load range C to radial load range D and that trailer was NOTICEABLY improved. Im not sure if the higher tire pressure alone made the difference or if radial ply had something to do with it.

On my 210 challenger trailer with tandem axles I am probably going to replace the 185/80 D 13 bias ply LRC with 175/80 R 13 radial ply load range D. Even though going down to 175 reduces load capacity a little, going from LRC to LRD bumps it up a lot. I don’t want to go higher than LRD because I suspect anything higher than 65psi is going to be difficult to inflate along the side of a highway.

I got the Rainier 185/80R13 LRD on aluminium wheels. No complaints.

Can someone tell me why we don’t balance our trailer wheels?

After a season, I think I am going to switch over to 175 80R 13 load D tires. The 145/12 load E's are very nice tires, but there is too much bounce due to the smaller size. I also have some concerns about the wheel bearing becoming hotter. Was worth a shot and the Rainier tires are very impressive. Most underrated tire brand on the market in my opinion.

After a season, I think I am going to switch over to 175 80R 13 load D tires. The 145/12 load E's are very nice tires, but there is too much bounce due to the smaller size. I also have some concerns about the wheel bearing becoming hotter. Was worth a shot and the Rainier tires are very impressive. Most underrated tire brand on the market in my opinion.
I’m surprised to hear anyone say that. I upgraded the 12” tires on my 150 Speedster from LRB Bias ply to Kenda LRE radials and was very happy with them. The original tires allowed the trailer to feel mushy at times and it didn’t feel like it tracked straight over bumps. The LREs made the trailer feel very obedient and it even felt like there was an improvement in rolling resistance (can’t prove it).

I’m surprised to hear anyone say that. I upgraded the 12” tires on my 150 Speedster from LRB Bias ply to Kenda LRE radials and was very happy with them. The original tires allowed the trailer to feel mushy at times and it didn’t feel like it tracked straight over bumps. The LREs made the trailer feel very obedient and it even felt like there was an improvement in rolling resistance (can’t prove it).
Don't get me wrong, the 145/12' Load E's are outstanding tires... they just made my trailer sit too low and I felt like the brearings were getting hotter due to the 12" tire. Zero complaints about the tire itself...just didn't fit my trailer set-up as well as I had hoped.

Again, Rainier tires are very good tires. They are kind of the new kid on the block but I would not hesitate to put them on a trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back