Challenger problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marq

Hello all,
Brand new to seadoo and still new to boating. I just picked up a 1997 challenger 1800 with the twin 787’s. Been a dream of mine to have a boat for over 10 years now. So when I found an awesome deal knowing it would need a little work I jumped on it. So I have a couple questions.

I took it out on a lake three days ago and it burped a little and then finally took off with no issues and ran good for 20 minutes before we took it back in. I went out yesterday and it would not stay running. Port engine would not run for more than 20 seconds or so and never throttle up and starboard would not go over 4K rpm. when it did throttle up it then died. Also both are idling at 2.5k rpm. Seems super high. Thoughts? Gas knobs are on. Full tank of 87 gas per manual and full tank of Seadoo 2 stroke XPS oil.

Question 2. While out the shift lever cable snapped while trying to get it into forward. Does anyone have the proper part number for that. I have been searching but having a hard time confirming which one for my year.

Questiob 3. I plan to rebuild carbs, new fuel lines and filters to start. But can I just use normal auto fuel lines? If so does anyone know about how many feet I need for the whole boat?

Thanks all for any help. Looking forward to being part of the group

I have tried to do research on these questions but I am not positive what all years I can apply the same info to my year.

I have tried to do research on these questions but I am not positive what all years I can apply the same info to my year.
Rebuild carbs, clean rave valves, replace plugs. Fuel lines should be marine grade. Also replace the oil lines and filters.

Rebuild carbs, clean rave valves, replace plugs. Fuel lines should be marine grade. Also replace the oil lines and filters.
Thanks for the info.
Do you happen to know how many feet and what size hose I need for the fuel lines? Having issues find that.

Unless your fuel lines are in poor condition, they probably don't need to be replaced. They don't deteriorate like the grey tempo lines on the skis.

They are black lines. But I know it sat for at least 4 months so I figure fuel line is cheap. Thanks for the info. I’m just having issues finding parts for it.

They are black lines. But I know it sat for at least 4 months so I figure fuel line is cheap. Thanks for the info. I’m just having issues finding parts for it.
Highly recommend www.osdparts.com You will need about 8' of 1/4 about 6' of 5/16 about 2' of 3/32. Also get a couple of fram G2 filters. Watch the small lines off the impulse pump there is a hidden brass restrictor jet inside the line.

No that's both motors
Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know the length and size for the oil lines? I found 8 and 12mm. Can you confirm?

You mentioned rebuilding the RAVE. Do I just do the one on the motors or also the one on the exhaust.

Last edited:
You don't need to rebuild just clean all of them. I ordered my oil lines in a kit online since I couldn't find the material locally but I think they are 3/32 also about 8'

You don't need to rebuild just clean all of them. I ordered my oil lines in a kit online since I couldn't find the material locally but I think they are 3/32 also about 8'
Thanks for the info. I found oil lines on the osdparts.com site and I will just order that way.

I am having the hardest time finding 2mm or 3/32 hose. I can’t seem to locate it anywhere. Do you have a link for that size? I am not seeing it in fuel or oil line. Seadoo part house listed 8mm and 12mm for the oil lines. Sorry I don’t have access to the boat right now or I would go check in person.

You don't need to replace the large oil supply/return lines unless they are in poor condition or have gotten hard. Replace the oil filters and oil injection lines with 3/32" tygon lines

Unless your fuel lines are in poor condition, they probably don't need to be replaced. They don't deteriorate like the grey tempo lines on the skis.
Thanks. The lines look almost brand new besides some surface gunk on the lines up by the selector switches. So I might just leave them alone entirely.

Wanted to show you all some pics. The lines look brand new. So I am gonna start with the filters for each then move on from there. 4B9CA698-A047-4C49-B46A-2CB3DFBC55C3.jpeg8977862A-9FDE-4FF5-8322-B24C0BE939CB.jpegEBE5241C-A844-492D-8C18-D53AF0AB84B1.jpeg07346F64-C671-4847-B9CC-C47732C583EB.jpeg4B9CA698-A047-4C49-B46A-2CB3DFBC55C3.jpeg

Update for everyone. New fuel filters in and that seems to be helping. But still high revving for idle. So still needs carbs redone. Also I am looking at my rave. Where should the red thing be set? I have seen other pages that say it should be flush.BDDC9264-99D7-49FA-9C55-5F5EB8501B29.jpeg

Hey all. So took the boat out to the lake today. The engines seem to be working much better now. Just left it on the trailer to idle and test but will take it out tomorrow and give her a run. Did have a question. My throttle levers move so smoothly that they actually throttle down if not held in place. Is it possible to tighten them up some or create resistance? Thanks.

There should be, if you look at a parts diagram for your throttle and shifter assembly you should see a way to tighten it up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back