Challenger 180SE oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
so that's my problem: the owners manual says mineral oil only, but says all oil changes need to be performed by an authorized dealer.

Then I check the shop manuals, and they only have those for 2006 and 2012 model years.... both with different recommendations.

The Castrol 4T is part synthetic which means it is also part mineral oil. The SeaDoo oil is also part synthetic.

the owners manual says mineral oil only, but says all oil changes need to be performed by an authorized dealer.

So which part of this spec applies to your circumstances?

Normally aspirated (non-SC) can use synthetic oil. What do the engine tag/oil fill cap specify? I consider engine labels take precedence as of day of manufacture.

Go hunting where the ducks are.

I have the supercharged model. I'll have to see if the oil cap specifies anything, but I was really hoping to find the sea doo kit so that I can have it all in one nice package (filter, plugs, o-rings and oil)

I have the supercharged model. I'll have to see if the oil cap specifies anything, but I was really hoping to find the sea doo kit so that I can have it all in one nice package (filter, plugs, o-rings and oil)

Post #2 lists exactly this. The only thing the kit does not include is the small o-ring that goes on the bolt for the oil filter cap.

Right. I just wanted to be sure that it was the correct one. I know you have the 2012: but it seems the 2012 service manual differs from the 2006 one (I fall between the two)

I 2nd this ^^^ Listing clearly states "For all 4-stroke Sea-Doo engines." and includes the correct replacement specification Seadoo branded oil. Seadoo no longer offers straight mineral for the 4-tec so this is what you need, correct for SC 4-tec.

Or for the SC wet clutch you could look for JASCO MA specification, which meets requirements for motorcycle wet clutches

I 2nd this ^^^ Listing clearly states "For all 4-stroke Sea-Doo engines." and includes the correct replacement specification Seadoo branded oil. Seadoo no longer offers straight mineral for the 4-tec so this is what you need, correct for SC 4-tec.

Or for the SC wet clutch you could look for JASCO MA specification, which meets requirements for motorcycle wet clutches

My 2009 180 SE manual calls for mineral oil but the dealer says the blended synthetic in the standard kits is correct to use. I have been using the kit package for past 6 years. A little pricey but it is handy to get the plugs filter and gaskets in one box.

My 2009 180 SE manual calls for mineral oil but the dealer says the blended synthetic in the standard kits is correct to use. I have been using the kit package for past 6 years. A little pricey but it is handy to get the plugs filter and gaskets in one box.

Good input, I believe your dealer is correct. Seadoo has changed their oil spec to include the wet clutch friction modifier additive package to accommodate the super charger clutch. The extra expense for the kit is a convenience that's nice to have it all packaged together.

At our dealership service department we prefer to use OEM oil but we also will help choose alternatives if the customer has some other brand preference.

NAPA stocks a wide variety of quality motor oils with additive packages intended for various applications.

Amsoil marine oil did extensive testing on the Sea-Doo super chargers with excellent results. It's the only I use in my 180 now

More than enough. I've used the oil change kit x2 on my twin engine the past 3 years and have 2 unopened jugs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back