Challenger 180 Battery

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepJTnSC

Hey everyone. New to the seadoo challenger world. Purchased a 2005 challenger 180 knowing it needed the pump rebuilt. Put it in the water and it’s running great 6000-7500 rpm’s. The issue at hand is that I have a brand new battery installed (first time it was used). Ran it for about 5-10mins with no issues. Shut it off for about 30mins before turning it back on. Fired right up. Then took it out for 35-45 mins to really test the new pump. Docked, shut it off for maybe 10mins. Attempted to start it up and the battery was dead. Attempted to start it several times. No Luck. After about 10-15mins while trying to figure out what to do. Attempted again and it fired right up.

What would cause the battery to just die after running it for 35-45mins and then after sitting idle for 10-15mins all of a sudden have a charge to start?

Thanks in Advance.

Brand new battery installed recently. So I would take a close look at red and black cables, terminals, tightness of nuts, terminal corrosion, etc.

Agree with the above post... don't underestimate corrosion somewhere on the connections. Corrosion on a small wire ruined my entire summer one year.

Start at the battery and work your way towards the engine to find the answer.

When you say "attempted to start it up and the battery was dead" how did you determine the battery was dead? What sounds and symptoms lead to that conclusion? I ask because I have 2008 230 wake and my kill switch lanyard is finicky. Also, are you sure the boat was in neutral with the throttle all the way down? Finally, agree with the above suggestion of making sure your cables connecting to the battery are very tight.

Sounds like the solenoid is starting to fail and that's exactly how the brown starter solenoids start to fail where they work fine one minute and then just click the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back