Cavitation-Wear Ring-Carbon Seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jreg

My 2006 RXT 215 started having what I believe to be cavitation. When I first crank her up I let it warm up and then take off. Takes off fine but only does 58 mph and 8050 RPMs at WOT. When I stop and try to take off I have the RPM's but it won't get up and go. I figured cavitation. I pulled the pump to inspect the wear ring and impeller. They looked fine but I went ahead and replaced the wear ring. Took it to the lake to try it out and just like before it took off fine and maxed out at 58 mph. Sat down and try to go again and it had the RPM's but no go. I took the seat off and heard water coming in so I put the seat on and headed back to the ramp. I kept feathering the throttle and it finally got up and went. By the time I got it on the trailer it was 1/3 way full. I get it out of the water and notice that water is pouring out of the hull where the drive shaft enters. I know right then that is a carbon seal gone out. I get home and take a look and notice the hat is not even touching the carbon seal. As a matter of fact, the carbon seal isn't visible outside of the boot. So, I am assuming that had something to do with me taking off the pump. My thinking is the seal was already failing and I finished it off. This also raises the question, could the failing carbon seal have been causing cavitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back