Catastrophic Engine Failure on my New to Me 2006 Sportster 155 215SC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goaterguy

So, it happened... Got the boat about two weeks ago, started sorting it, had issues with the keys and eventually changed the DESS post. Everything look good but I wanted to test it more.

Yesterday took the boat to the lake and in the middle of it, the engine shut down. I thought it was the DESS issue, tried cranking it, it cranked a few times then seized. We drifted to a nearby dock and got someone to tow us to the nearest ramp.

Got it home and used my endoscope to look at the cylinders. Spark plugs 1 and 3 came out easy, #2 was extremely difficult to remove, it looked like someone smashed it with a hammer from the engine side... Look at pics attached for a good piston and the center one.

I'm fairly sure the cylinder walls, piston and head are smashed.

Looking at options, a 2006 SC long block is about $3k and I'm having a difficult time thinking about investing into a $7k boat.

The 155 long block is about half the price.

I usually just cruise at around 30 mph so I don't think I need the full 215 hp.

Can you guys comment on my options? Can I just get the 155 long block, install everything else but the supercharger and the computer will recognize it?

Thanks

Attachments

• good.jpg
    good.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Man that sucks!

On your questions.....No you can't use your ECU for the 155 Engine. The 155 Engine also utilizes the 155mm Pump vs. the 159mm in our boats.

Your best bet is to get a new long block and strip the parts and build a new engine. One other option is to try salvage, but most boats or PWC's end up there from sinking.

You CAN install a 155 engine and it will run with your 215 ECU, I'm not sure how well it will run though. The 215 ECU will be feeding the 155hp engine fuel like it is a 215hp and expecting to see boost on the MAP sensor. If you really want to ditch the supercharger, you'll need to get a 155 engine, ECU, injectors, MAP sensor, that seems like more work and money than it's worth.
When my 2004 GTX 185hp engine grenaded, I bought a used block, had it machined for new forged pistons, bought a used 2008+ head, bought new fasteners, gaskets, rebuilt the supercharger, assembled the engine and it ran great. The cost was about $3000 for the parts and machine work, there is no cheap fix for your problem

Thanks for the info. Sadly, yesterday, my mother had a massive heart attach and I will go see her in PR so this project will go on the back burner for now.

Thanks. Sometimes life forces you to see it in a different perspective. I should stop complaining about money that will help me and my family enjoy life and have a little bit more fun, and simply fix the darn thing, which is what I'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back