Castor oil for new engine break in?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

My mechanic who rebuilt my entire engine said use a tank or two of castor oil before switching to synthetic? This is a premix ski. What is the benefit? Will it hurt it if I just use synthetic right from the start?

Using synthetic won't hurt anything and is recommended for all seadoo 787-951 engines. Make sure it is only API-TC rated. Castor is not correctly rated and shouldn't be used on powervalved watercraft. The castor being a bean oil will also absorb moisture which is bad and there is no need for the super high film strength in castor in a stock ski especially at break in. If this is a 787 you still have to supply oil to the rotary gear even on pre-mix.

So no. don't use castor.

Using synthetic won't hurt anything and is recommended for all seadoo 787-951 engines. Make sure it is only API-TC rated. Castor is not correctly rated and shouldn't be used on powervalved watercraft. The castor being a bean oil will also absorb moisture which is bad and there is no need for the super high film strength in castor in a stock ski especially at break in. If this is a 787 you still have to supply oil to the rotary gear even on pre-mix.

So no. don't use castor.

Ok that is good information. It is a stock 787 except for a tdr box. And as far as supplying oil to the rotary gear he did say he left a little in the oil tank for the raves is it bad if I just fill it so I don’t have to worry about it for a little while? I would still check the oil level every two or three fill ups if I did as I’m not sure how much the raves use

The RAVES don't use any as they are the exhaust powervalves on the cylinders. The rotary gear runs the rotary valve that allows air and fuel into the intake. You can fill up the tank or maybe just half full and keep an eye on it. A fresh engine with a new crank shouldn't use any.

The RAVES don't use any as they are the exhaust powervalves on the cylinders. The rotary gear runs the rotary valve that allows air and fuel into the intake. You can fill up the tank or maybe just half full and keep an eye on it. A fresh engine with a new crank shouldn't use any.
Ok that sounds great! Thank you for the information and I appreciate the help. Sorry I’m not well educated and new to pwc’s. This is my first fresh engine ever so I’m just paranoid about doing proper maintenance and getting the longevity out of it!

I use klotz supertechniplate ( 20% castor/80% synthetic )at 50.1 without any problem! This oil have additives keep rave valve clean! Maxima 927 oil
It,s the best oil for keep your 2 stroke alive!! It s just my opinon personnel

I use klotz supertechniplate ( 20% castor/80% synthetic )at 50.1 without any problem! This oil have additives keep rave valve clean! Maxima 927 oil
It,s the best oil for keep your 2 stroke alive!! It s just my opinon personnel

Absolutely not in a seadoo. Only API-TC rated full synthetic.

Yes for seadoo and all engine with rave!!!!! I forget , only use pre mix ! But yes it,s surpass api tc (low ash )and twc3 and jaso fd!! The best oil !!

Yes for seadoo and all engine with rave!!!!! I forget , only use pre mix ! But yes it,s surpass api tc (low ash )and twc3 and jaso fd!! The best oil !!

I agree for premix as nothing smells better than Klotz, however never in the rotary chamber as I would still use a straight API-TC instead of a dual rated oil. I would also suggest switching to Klotz SkiCraft as it has more corrosion inhibitors than Klotz Super.

Also the owners wife makes Klotz scented candles that make for an awesome man cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back