Carrier / Carbon issue - carbon sticking to shaft...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racerx35

Hi, Looking for a cause, so I can determine how much needs to be dismantled .. before I just start taking things apart :)

Starting with :
98 GSX limited. ( I'm new to the ski last year. In the water last season ( 6 months ago )
I have had no pump or drive shaft issues yet with this ski.
Lots of fun - but found many issues all through the ski - and dealt with them one by one.
Did some minor fuel system maintenance in the spring ( fuel gauge, hoses, fuel selector ).. which i think is unrelated to this issue...

I cranked the motor for about 15seconds since fuel lines were empty.
The attached plus wires - to test start ( still dry in garage ) and the Drive / Carrier bearing/carbon Boot twisted itself into a small knot and stopped rotation just as it started to fire.
I released the Front band clamp on the boot ( which wasn't ripped ) - and the driveshaft turns freely on the starter, but it seems that carbon ring is sticking to the drive shaft. is my assumption here correct?

The part was not malfunctioning last season. The ski was winterized and put up ( dry ) and covered.

Are there any remedies to try before taking the pump/shaft/carbon apart?
I had not greased the carrier bearing previously - I just did that now. Stopped there to ask for advice.

I'm new to Skis ( this is my second season ) - but I am a fairly competent auto/marine shade tree mechanic that can follow troubleshooting directions :)

I have read a few threads about this issue.. re: difficulty removing the carbon ring. but haven't found the discussion about this issue
Any help is gratefully accepted :)!

Update.. It appears the Carrier might be the part that is stuck... the carrier bearing ( with the grease fitting.. is rotating with the drive shaft. Can i presume that this is Not good ?

If I read correctly, you have the carrier bearing, which somebody prior installed. Remove it and install a new carbon ring setup, much better IMO.

Update.. It appears the Carrier might be the part that is stuck... the carrier bearing ( with the grease fitting.. is rotating with the drive shaft. Can i presume that this is Not good ?

Yeah that's the drawback of the old carrier bearing and why Seadoo switched to the carbon ring setup, it constantly needs to be greased to avoid freezing up and spinning on the shaft. If this happens in the water and you rip the boot your ski would fill up with water fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back