Carbon Seal Movement?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ace422

How much movement is normal? Was out this past weekend and had a strange rattle and some cavitation. After checking things out I found I had a lot of wiggle room in the carbon seal and the boot. I was able to easily move it and even push it back a bit. I did not have any water leaking in though.
I've since added the tie wrap behind the boot and pumped grease into the PTO. I cant push it back as easy now but there is still significant play between the stainless ring and carbon seal.

It is a "floating ring" setup so it will move and wiggle, it is only the pressure of the boot keeping them in contact, nothing else.

The ziptie trick is only a bandaid for a leaking seal to get you through the weekend. If it isn't leaking I wouldn't use the ziptie.

Not leaking water but i did have cavitation. With the ampunt of play it had im figuring this is the reason for the cavitation. A visual check from the intake grate looks like the wear ring is fine.

I would give it a try and if the cavitation is gone then plan on a carbon seal rebuild in your near future.

Yea should have done it when i changed the orings on the stainless part and swithed to the c clip. I have to fix a sticky throttle issue first. Ski was surging when i went to trailer it, i noticed the throttle wasnt snapping back, 2nd time its happened luckily both times it been at the end of the day near the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back