Can I rely on Sea-Doo part numbers?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have to change the VTS module and motor on my 2008 Wake 215 Sea-Doo. Looking at this website, it states that my part number is 278001605. Looking specifically at the part on the housing, I see 2 molded part numbers: 278 000 103 and 278 002 312. I am, not sure why there are 2 part numbers and what they specifically mean. Additionally, there is a printed sticker with an inspection date, a serial number and what seems to be a part number that states : 278-002-352.

I saw a used VTS advertised for a 2008 RXP-X and the seller told me that the part number for his module was 278001605 which is exactly the same part number as mine (according to SeadooPartsHouse.com) . When I received the module, I noticed that the VTS module did NOT fit on my Sea-Doo, the housing being too long. See attached picture.

My VTS vs other VTS.jpg

However, when looking at the module itself, I see that the molded part numbers on the plastic are EXACTLY the same as mine: 278 000 103 and 278 002 312. The part number on the PRINTED sticker, along with serial and inspection date, is different: 278-002-354. The seller agreed it was his mistake and also agreed to reimburse me.

I then found ANOTHER seller who told me that he had a used VTS for sale and told me it came from a 2005 RXP (edited - this used to say RXT) Wake 215. The part number molded is 278 000 103 and the PRINTED (on the sticker) number is 278-001-697. I looked here and noticed that his part number would be the same as mine (here): 278 001 605 so I purchased it.

I haven't taken possession of the VTS yet but I am now having second thought. Looking at the picture he sent me, his VTS seems similar to the one I previously purchased that was too long. See this picture:

VTS 2-1.jpg

The "extra section" seems halfway between mine and the 1st one I purchased.

What should I make of this and how can I make sure I get the correct part..?? I'm going crazy here.

Thanks

Last edited:
often parts that are used in the production line do not have the same part# as their replacements available over the parts counter. The 2 part numbers you are seeing might be for the bare VTS housing before the internals are added. Keep searching for a VTS housing with 278-002-352 or 278001605 on the sticker.

often parts that are used in the production line do not have the same part# as their replacements available over the parts counter. The 2 part numbers you are seeing might be for the bare VTS housing before the internals are added. Keep searching for a VTS housing with 278-002-352 or 278001605 on the sticker.

Agreed that there is probably a part number for the assembly (that includes the electronics inside the VTS module) and a part number for simply the plastic housing - that cannot be purchased separately. But that still doesn't explain why:

1- There are TWO part numbers molder on the plastic housing. It seems to be only one molded part, but I could be wrong and perhaps it is in fact 2 parts glued together?

2- More importantly: The 2 molded part numbers are the same in my housing as the other housing from the 2008 RXP-X althoujgh those 2 parts are CLEARLY different (one is longer).

Looking at the www.seadoowarehouse.com site I don't even see an exploded trim assembly for the 2005 RXT.

I'm not interested in the Trim Fix and your post doesn't address my question.

After reading extensively about the Trim Fix and trying on multiple occasion to contact the seller for get some answers, I never received any reply despite his site claiming the he would respond to emails. I've talked to other potential customers who had similar experiences. Furthermore, I am not at all interested in filing the worn screw to account for the fact that the trim fix will not stop at the extreme positions, and which to have my trim gauge working properly, which I don't think the trim fix will do.

I have been buying tested, used guaranteed ones from Westside Powersports Seadoo for years now with no failures.

I have found that the rubber boot leaks when old and ruins the VTS from water intrusion.

I have found that the rubber boot leaks when old and ruins the VTS from water intrusion.

Indeed, I just purchased this Sea-Doo and that boot was likely the problem. I've changed about 10 other rubber parts all over the place that were also degraded and would probably eventually caused problems. I'm told that if the booth is well maintained and looked after regularly, my VTS should work for a long time.

Hopefully the 2nd one I purchased (which I have yet to pick-up since it is 1h away drive) will work out, but looking at my pictures above, I am not certain...

Ok, well that settles it. Thanks @Sharpester for the link. That site is crap but contains the information.

Also, I edited my original post since I mistakenly wrote that it comes from a 2005 RXT when in fact it came from a 2005 RXP. That explains why I couldn't locate the trim assembly for the RXT.

So, according to the BRP website, the trim housing on the 2005 RXP has a part number of 278001605, which seems to be the same as mine.

Looking forward to it. The picture of my VTS above, and the picture from the seller below does seem to be different, (length of the ribbed part coming out of the box) but it could simply be a matter of perspective.

I'll report back once I have the part in hand.

Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back