Bypassing 1999 Challenger 1800 Mpem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, because I just got my boat and am now having issues. I am new to the boat world and this boat looked like a good deal. Is the MPEM still working to crank? My boat was cranking on both engines and one would run. After messing with the second engine and trying to get it to run everything just stopped. They only thing that happens now is that my MPEM makes a clicking noise when either start button is pushed. I'm trying to trouble shoot things here. Both starters and solenoids work when I jumped them.

Here's the diagram I got online
c721c927b2e48e74dad23e58020a1caf.jpg

I have a wiring diagram somewhere as I followed what bolongo did with the msd units. If I have time I’ll get it and post it on here.

I have a 1996 Challenger I'm working on. I know the 1800 will be different but I would appreciate seeing it to make sure I'm on the right track!

Hey Bo, sorry for the long post but I am at a road block and think you might be the guy with an answer.

I am new to the seadoo thing as well and bought a 1998 Challenger 1800 last summer (around the time you were posting). My boat needed an engine rebuilt so I pulled both, and had them done at SES and did the carbs at the same time - great work I might add. I got them back in the boat this spring and spent a bit of time installing them right and setting up the carbs etc. I finally got it in the water and it ran great at first.... aside from a bit of spark issue. I bought new plugs and snipped the cable ends to redress the plug boots and fired it up. I let it idle a few min while I grabbed my gear and was about to leVe the doc when both engines died at the exact same time. I tested everything and found no spark on any wire. Start buttons work and starters crank but nothing else. I have been following your posts si ce last year and had already decided to try the MSD 4255s as you did, but after speaking to tech support at MSD, I was told the 4255 won't support the 98-99 mpem. What mpem did you wire them up to on your 99' was it the original mpem, or did you put in a different unit first?

Any help is very much appreciated.

This is my finished version of my mpem rip out on my 99 challenger 1800. My mpem stoped working on the port side when I bought it, so I bypassed the mpem with a 4255. This year after replacing the rave valves it finally gave up the ghost and wouldn’t start the port engine or starboard without shutting g the main power off.
So I ripped it out. I just took the boat out last weekend and she runs beautifully.

91aff92f56e3fcee3f2f77c9f3580a1d.jpg

This is my finished version of my mpem rip out on my 99 challenger 1800. My mpem stoped working on the port side when I bought it, so I bypassed the mpem with a 4255. This year after replacing the rave valves it finally gave up the ghost and wouldn’t start the port engine or starboard without shutting g the main power off.
So I ripped it out. I just took the boat out last weekend and she runs beautifully.

Where did you get the fuse block?

Sorry for missing out I'm just now picking up the project again now that it's nice enough here to work in the driveway. I think my original fuse block under the dash is blown. I can get the solenoid to turn over shorting the wires and the switch resistance checks out. Anyone know if the block just be pulled and swapped with a standard block and rewired?

When you setup these 4255s, did you just use the MSD recommended stock settings? Cool setup.. how did it run this last summer?

I sold my speedster, but it's still local. I still don't know if it's good, but if you're interested, I could ask for a price for the mepm if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back