Buying a new non current sportster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jiminminn

I am considering buying a non current Sportster 150 it is a 2005 with the 155 engine. The boat only has 2 hours on it so it is basically new. Can anyone give me a list of things that I should check during and after a test drive?
Thanks.
Jim

Welcome to the forum......

WOW, a 2005 with 2 hrs. Is that on a new motor or the original hrs on the boat/engine.
I would absolutely take it for a test drive...but in Mn it getting cold now.
I would assume those 2 hrs would have been put on in 2005 after it was purchased????
If so, then it has sat for 6 yrs. Some seals would be shot, gas if any in tanks,lines,carbs is trash.
Any bearings might be gone.
check compression....with a 155hp I assume it's a 951. I think compression is around 125-135psi. wait for answers .....
Stored inside or outside???? Who knows what else could be wrong or on the verge?

Please wait for more definite replies from the experts here before purchasing.
If you are near Minnetonka, Mn then a member could help you decide...he is minnetonka4me

Keep us posted on what happens.

I talked to the dealer and here is the story. Fairly wealthy person bought the boat from the dealer in 2005. Bought it for his wife. He already owned several nice boats but thought she might like it to play with. Apparently she drove it once and it has been in storage ever since. Dealer figures it has 1-2 hours on it. Dealer took it in trade. He says he will have a technician go over the boat engine in detail. I will insist on a test drive and want to see the compression readings.
The pictures look spotless and I plan to go look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips. Any others are still welcomed.
Jim

Well I bought it. This unit actually has only 1 hour on it. I looks like it is brand new. The guy put it in the water the summer of 2004 and his wife didn't like it, then it has been parked in his garage unter the cover since. Paid $9400. Not a great deal for a used 2004 but for a brand new one, a pretty good deal.
The technician checked the compression and all 3 cylinders showed 195psi. The Bimini cover isn't even faded.
Picking it up on Friday, can't wait until spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back