...but it can buy me a boat! (TLDR: Noob)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapped battery yesterday. Nothing to it, just need a 9/16ths (positive post but) 1/2” (negative post but) and 7/16ths (hold down bracket) sockets. the old batter had lost adaptors so even though new battery had bolt and smooth posts, I transferred over to new battery. Little dielectric grease on everything, cinch it down and done. Upon closer inspection, old battery was 2012. I feel much more comfortable leaving the radio on while we relax on the water!
Good choice getting the AGM

Took her out on the big lake (Lake Michigan) today. Calm before noon then picked up with the wind. 2-4 ft waves. Put in at East Chicago, went around to the local park the is semi protected by Indiana Harbor. Then went over to Miller Beach. Pulled some tubes along the way, but then pulled them in and motored. Anchored off the beach, hung out, went back to harbor area. Handled the waves fine but got splashed a few times. Anything more than that I think I’d tuck in. Or without the kids. But man, that was a blast on big open water!
I bet that was fun... we seem to get most of the water over the bow in the front. Challengers are pretty low to the water in the front.

I bet that was fun... we seem to get most of the water over the bow in the front. Challengers are pretty low to the water in the front.
A riot.
underway, it was just normal splashing from the bow coming down hard. We anchored off a sand bar in about 2-3 ft of water and as the wind/waves picked up, every now and then it’d catch a wave and maybe a half gallon or so would come over. The bow design is kinda turned down, anchor line was off the bow and we were on the sand bar where the waves crest. Either way, good times.

Ok, so apparently in my haste, I didn’t order the two position NAV light switch, just a couple on/off light switches. Which is fine, bc turns out the blower switch was broken so previous owner swapped it with the interior light switch. My blower switch was in the interior light switch position (right side, position 1 of four, left to right), and the light switch was in the blower position (left side, position 1 of 2).
So I popped the cover off the bad blower switch and put it on a new switch, popped in in place. I put the original light switch (had been blower) back into correct position, but when I tested it, the lights came on, but very weak and sorta flickered. I swapped that with the second switch I got (was meant to be a spare) and lo and behold, lights were much, much brighter.

so now I’m thinking I need a true replacement For the NAV switch. Maybe I’m getting 12V, but not enough power to light the bulb?
C9R0J0 - I pulled apart the bad blower switch and you’re right! Buncha little springs and parts. There was a rattle in the switch and a little plastic part had broken off, so couldn’t fix but was good to see the internals. The bottom Half is the part of the switch that would stay flat on the workbench as you put the top half on, otherwise those little springs go flying. Before I pulled it apart I did clean up the contacts with a Brillo pad, which did shine them up but it had no effect. I got my other Carling switch from Great Lakes Skipper out of Racine, WI (decent price, shipped out in one day and arrived after two via USPS). Can’t find a NAV three position switch on their site. Maybe will call/e-mail tomorrow. Pic attached is switch. And some others.

Yep, like i said, the 1st one I did was a mess. When put it back togethter the backlight didn't work, but the other fuctions worked. I left it like that until I successfully reassembled 2 others and then took it apart again and now the backlight is working. Seems the black scoring on the contacts is all that needs to be cleaned up and they're as good as new.

Yep, like i said, the 1st one I did was a mess. When put it back togethter the backlight didn't work, but the other fuctions worked. I left it like that until I successfully reassembled 2 others and then took it apart again and now the backlight is working. Seems the black scoring on the contacts is all that needs to be cleaned up and they're as good as new.
Good info; thanks!

Took the boys and their uncle (about the same age) out tonight for some tubing. Dodged a t-storm then it calmed down and was great. First time having them help instead of wife and my oldest. Everything went great! That is until I backed it into the garage.

I was to wing with my Silverado which actually sits a little lower and with a 2-in drop, is just about level and how it should be. But my driveway has a decent incline and when I was backing it in (boys were in the pool and out of the way) the trailer popped off the ball, hit the truck hitch, deflected to portand down under my bumper and safety chains stopped it before the winch took out my bumper!!! I put the wheel choks on, pulled forward and took pic. Used floor jack to get it high enough to put wheel down and raised up, then swapped with my wife’s ‘bourbon and put it the rest of the way in the garage.

I inspected the trailer ball mount, locking mechanism and things look fine...but I don’t know how they looked before. In better light I’ll check again. I can only think that as the trailer leveled out in my garage, forcing the tongue up, and the ball puching back on the locking mechanism, plus the angle being sharp and going over a small lip in the floor (a recess for where the garage door lands)...if there was a little play (or something bent), it could pop off.

anyway, could have been much worse!

Attachments

• 420A18A9-D37D-4BB7-96AA-2991B5128A01.png
    420A18A9-D37D-4BB7-96AA-2991B5128A01.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 21B8D770-4825-4710-92E7-D36049F43CDD.png
    21B8D770-4825-4710-92E7-D36049F43CDD.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 346F1678-C926-4508-9729-41F84B8E97CD.png
    346F1678-C926-4508-9729-41F84B8E97CD.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 40
Ahhh...forgot to get a VIN/HIN inspection so could only title and register the trailer and pay excise tax. Need to get that done. But boat registration from previous owner is valid through end of year and you have 45 days from sale to register here. So a little waste of time for another trip to BMV.
Looks like your on a different section of the GL's from us, but we bought a set of jetskis last year and I registered them today since it expired in March. No issues using them or transferring them whatsoever, nothing to stress about. The trailer doesn't have a title though and the hand written receipt by the old owner is to my wife who wasn't there, but the state uses permanent trailer plates, no stickers or renewals, so I'm running it until I don't have to make an appointment weeks in advance just to wallow in throngs of masked, hacking, things representing basically the worst possible examples of how not to be during an outbreak.... Seriously... RV hunting was just as bad this year too TBH. If you get whatever you were looking for, you're winning. Now get on it, in it, on top it, whatever and plan your escape lol.

Took the boys and their uncle (about the same age) out tonight for some tubing. Dodged a t-storm then it calmed down and was great. First time having them help instead of wife and my oldest. Everything went great! That is until I backed it into the garage.

I was to wing with my Silverado which actually sits a little lower and with a 2-in drop, is just about level and how it should be. But my driveway has a decent incline and when I was backing it in (boys were in the pool and out of the way) the trailer popped off the ball, hit the truck hitch, deflected to portand down under my bumper and safety chains stopped it before the winch took out my bumper!!! I put the wheel choks on, pulled forward and took pic. Used floor jack to get it high enough to put wheel down and raised up, then swapped with my wife’s ‘bourbon and put it the rest of the way in the garage.

I inspected the trailer ball mount, locking mechanism and things look fine...but I don’t know how they looked before. In better light I’ll check again. I can only think that as the trailer leveled out in my garage, forcing the tongue up, and the ball puching back on the locking mechanism, plus the angle being sharp and going over a small lip in the floor (a recess for where the garage door lands)...if there was a little play (or something bent), it could pop off.

anyway, could have been much worse!
I know it's stupid and simple, nobody is that dumb kind of a thing, but look at the hitch size and ball size. I just caught the end there and didn't get into all the details, but I occasionally end up with oddball trailers that take 1 ⅞". If that was what I towed last, I may or may not have left the ball in and hooked up later to something happy I didn't have to dig out anything and can just hook and go. Yeah.... There difference in hooking your 1⅞" trailer to your 2" ball is enough that generally you don't waste a lot of time trying to beat it on like an idiot. But you reverse that? Well, ⅛" isn't nearly as obvious if you aren't being vigilant and it will drop right on there and hook without any problems. You can even tow it. And sometimes you get an extra surprise on a pot hole or bump. I keep a "towing" rear door now for the summer session lol. I mean I'm gonna be loaded up a lot with ATVs and trailers, they beat things up and people like to hit it when you have it down for longer stuff anyways. It's actually been a useful money saver considering it was a joke, like a dunce cap for my truck lol. But yeah, check your sizes. Probably not it, but those things still show up occasionally.

I know it's stupid and simple, nobody is that dumb kind of a thing, but look at the hitch size and ball size. I just caught the end there and didn't get into all the details, but I occasionally end up with oddball trailers that take 1 ⅞". If that was what I towed last, I may or may not have left the ball in and hooked up later to something happy I didn't have to dig out anything and can just hook and go. Yeah.... There difference in hooking your 1⅞" trailer to your 2" ball is enough that generally you don't waste a lot of time trying to beat it on like an idiot. But you reverse that? Well, ⅛" isn't nearly as obvious if you aren't being vigilant and it will drop right on there and hook without any problems. You can even tow it. And sometimes you get an extra surprise on a pot hole or bump. I keep a "towing" rear door now for the summer session lol. I mean I'm gonna be loaded up a lot with ATVs and trailers, they beat things up and people like to hit it when you have it down for longer stuff anyways. It's actually been a useful money saver considering it was a joke, like a dunce cap for my truck lol. But yeah, check your sizes. Probably not it, but those things still show up occasionally.
Good point. Will double check that tonight!

Ball is correct for trailer. The nut the holds up the latching mechanism (the stop piece the cinches up against the bottom of the ball) looked like it could be tightened up, raising the stop but then it wouldn’t latch bc it was too high up. Backed it off to just where it would snug nicely. Have taken it in and out of the garage twice now with the wife’s Suburban and no problems. I think it was the extreme angle created by my truck height and not super tight locking stop.

Got new tires. Carlisle 185/80/R13, radial, loaf range C, 1480lbs/tire. 2960 max for the trailer. Boat weighs 2075lbs, full tank of gas around 165, so would have around 720lbs of capacity for other gear. Feels a little smoother, but it wasn’t really rough with the old tires. I replaced the old tires because they were 8 years old and had a strange wear pattern; just the inner half of each tire was worn way more than outer half. Anyway, just wanted to be safe and for $65/tire, small investment.

I did pull one wheel bearing, bc I wanted to Inspect repack. The port side was fine, no wear on the bearings or races, but the grease was the characteristic gray/black goop. Repacked but didn’t have time for the other side; will do that today. I also ordered new bearings and seals and will replace everything at end of season.

Ball is correct for trailer. The nut the holds up the latching mechanism (the stop piece the cinches up against the bottom of the ball) looked like it could be tightened up, raising the stop but then it wouldn’t latch bc it was too high up. Backed it off to just where it would snug nicely. Have taken it in and out of the garage twice now with the wife’s Suburban and no problems. I think it was the extreme angle created by my truck height and not super tight locking stop.

I wouldn't doubt it. Throw a couple extreme variables at something and it's a good way to have an issue. Maybe you were a tad loose, then the angle, *POP* I honestly didn't think ball size was an issue, but my wife has a habit of making the dumbest or absurd observations and conclusions, and because of being more educated on the topic it sometimes makes me revisit things in a while different light. I'd never have thought of it because of the simplicity. That and the phrase I teach apprentices- if you hear hoofbeats think horse, not zebra. Basically 99% I've problems you'll ever encounter are going to be horse problems. You will almost never encounter a zebra problem. So something's not right look for the simplest answer first.

I wouldn't doubt it. Throw a couple extreme variables at something and it's a good way to have an issue. Maybe you were a tad loose, then the angle, *POP* I honestly didn't think ball size was an issue, but my wife has a habit of making the dumbest or absurd observations and conclusions, and because of being more educated on the topic it sometimes makes me revisit things in a while different light. I'd never have thought of it because of the simplicity. That and the phrase I teach apprentices- if you hear hoofbeats think horse, not zebra. Basically 99% I've problems you'll ever encounter are going to be horse problems. You will almost never encounter a zebra problem. So something's not right look for the simplest answer first.
Yup. I hear ya.
Also, the sensibilities of a woman, right?

Learn from my mistakes!

was out today, tubing with the kids and their friends. Dropped anchor and let them swim and play in tubes. Ready for round two so pulled anchor and got them ready. I had the tube tied up and excess line coiled on transom/swim deck area. When pulling anchor and whatnot, I didn’t double check tube rope. Started her up, idled in forward to get to deeper water, felt vibration, so I killed it. Yup, sucked up the tube rope. F!!! Tired to pull it back out, went under multiple times, pulled a few feet, but then nothing (probably just tightened everything down, lol). Thankfully, there was a couple with a pontoon anchored next to us and he offered to tow us to the launch. I remembered reading about the exhaust water hose when towing, and I keep a tool bag in the rear starboard storage compartment. I had a Vise Grip but it wouldn’t completely pinch the hose. I had a lot of straight needle nose pliers, so I put that on and clamped the vise grip over. Hope I did that right.

towed at about 5 mph or less for about 10 minutes. Loaded up and got home. had to cut the line, then unwind a bunch until there was enough slack for the whole knot to basically slide up the drive shaft housing and then I could unwind and pull out. Pic of the mess. got it all out and didn’t look like anything got in the actual impeller. Started it up and she fired and idled fine. Will have to take out for another shakedown to make sure I didn’t F anything up with the impeller, shaft or exhaust/water circulation. I think (hope?) that all is well, but we’ll find out! Always double check your lines!!!

Attachments

• AB5D2C30-C35D-440D-AB90-3065650335F4.png
    AB5D2C30-C35D-440D-AB90-3065650335F4.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
Learn from my mistakes!

was out today, tubing with the kids and their friends. Dropped anchor and let them swim and play in tubes. Ready for round two so pulled anchor and got them ready. I had the tube tied up and excess line coiled on transom/swim deck area. When pulling anchor and whatnot, I didn’t double check tube rope. Started her up, idled in forward to get to deeper water, felt vibration, so I killed it. Yup, sucked up the tube rope. F!!! Tired to pull it back out, went under multiple times, pulled a few feet, but then nothing (probably just tightened everything down, lol). Thankfully, there was a couple with a pontoon anchored next to us and he offered to tow us to the launch. I remembered reading about the exhaust water hose when towing, and I keep a tool bag in the rear starboard storage compartment. I had a Vise Grip but it wouldn’t completely pinch the hose. I had a lot of straight needle nose pliers, so I put that on and clamped the vise grip over. Hope I did that right.

towed at about 5 mph or less for about 10 minutes. Loaded up and got home. had to cut the line, then unwind a bunch until there was enough slack for the whole knot to basically slide up the drive shaft housing and then I could unwind and pull out. Pic of the mess. got it all out and didn’t look like anything got in the actual impeller. Started it up and she fired and idled fine. Will have to take out for another shakedown to make sure I didn’t F anything up with the impeller, shaft or exhaust/water circulation. I think (hope?) that all is well, but we’ll find out! Always double check your lines!!!
We have had this happen before. I was unable to get it out, so I had to take to the shop to have it removed.

One trick that does help, is to put a noodle at the end of the rope (close to where you fasten to your boat). It keeps the rope above the water close to the boat. It should stay on when you are tubing. It definitely helps for that split second when you let your guard down.

We have had this happen before. I was unable to get it out, so I had to take to the shop to have it removed.

One trick that does help, is to put a noodle at the end of the rope (close to where you fasten to your boat). It keeps the rope above the water close to the boat. It should stay on when you are tubing. It definitely helps for that split second when you let your guard down.
Great idea, thank you!
We were out yesterday for the first time since I wrapped and I was a little nervous that I didn’t get it all or did something to the impeller, but everything worked fine and ran like a champ! It was calm and not busy so opened it up a bit and got up to 42 mph loaded with family and gear, about 7300 RPM. Sound out right? Have met had a chance to take it just by myself yet.

Bimini fix update. The plastic piece in the pic broke off and I finally got around to fixing. There were a few holes or air bubbles from casting that looked liked they lined up on both ends, so I used a 5/64ths bit and drilled about 3/8ths of an inch in each piece. I clipped some trim nails and dry fit, then trimmed to final fit. The holes weren’t exactly plumb, but there was enough play and bend that it worked. I dabbed the one end on the nail in Gorilla super glue and got those in. Then I slathered more on the other ends sticking out and the mating surfaces. Wiggled it on and pressed down, then flipped over and let it dry. Seems to be strong but we’ll be out today and I’ll report back. Figure i try something cheap and easy before getting too crazy.

Attachments

• 30101DA1-0510-41F9-AD03-F28AC69F8360.png
    30101DA1-0510-41F9-AD03-F28AC69F8360.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • A89F8540-E536-46FE-8A98-37FCB4A34B26.png
    A89F8540-E536-46FE-8A98-37FCB4A34B26.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
  • E9120147-C6A1-4BE1-8B55-83CC0CABA702.png
    E9120147-C6A1-4BE1-8B55-83CC0CABA702.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
I personally dont go above 30 MPH with my bimini deployed. All those plastic pieces and the whole top being held on with just a hand full of screws. I think my top came with a warning of not doing above 35 MPH, of course this means speed of the boat plus the speed of the wind.

I personally dont go above 30 MPH with my bimini deployed. All those plastic pieces and the whole top being held on with just a hand full of screws. I think my top came with a warning of not doing above 35 MPH, of course this means speed of the boat plus the speed of the wind.
Same. It broke when I was putting it up one day. I kept it up all day but stayed under 25. Wasn’t a cloud in the sky so I was very grateful to have it back!
(Forgot to post final pics)

Attachments

• FBBA1719-958C-46EC-B83B-13FBC0F069C6.jpeg
    FBBA1719-958C-46EC-B83B-13FBC0F069C6.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 19
  • DEDB140B-A890-4FF8-B9AB-3A28A226D6F4.jpeg
    DEDB140B-A890-4FF8-B9AB-3A28A226D6F4.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 18
Repair held on the big lake Sunday too. Calm and no winds earlier in the day, but picked up to 10-15 knots out of the West in the afternoon. Waves 1-3ft so we were taking an occasional big bounce and what not. I did have it up and going about 18-20, into the wind, so probably breached the 30mph apparent wind. When we motored in for the day I did drop it. So I’d say the repair held and that’s the worst conditions I’ll see. At least it will get me through the season.

Attachments

• CA914922-6C82-46E2-B82F-0A5C704E0E13.png
    CA914922-6C82-46E2-B82F-0A5C704E0E13.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
I am a first time jet boat owner this year as well and have enjoyed your posts.
Thanks! I figure I’m going to go through the trials and tribulations of a new owner so might as well document it so that the next new guy can learn from the good, the bad and the ugly!

I replaced the tires on my trailer a few weeks ago; here’s the details. Went with the Carlisle ST185/80R13 load range C. ~$140 out the door at my local tire shop. Ride is definitely improved but likely due to the uneven wear on the old tires. They’re quiet and I don’t think about them so I guess that means all is well? I also got the bearing kits from TrailerPartsSuperstore (www.easternmarine.com) since they’re Karavan’s official dealer or something like that. I found my trailer on their web portal; type in VIN and it spits out the parts and a nice CAD drawing. I did also e-mail the part number and trailer VIN to confirm I had the right parts. Replied the next day and placed the order. They are out of stock on the castle nut pins, but I might make my own since I have the drawing.
anyhow, here’s a couple pics.

Attachments

• 33A0057A-F5A4-42C7-98AB-F2B4F2CDC85A.png
    33A0057A-F5A4-42C7-98AB-F2B4F2CDC85A.png
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 1D6D0151-BAE8-4A2B-809F-68F114D025A7.png
    1D6D0151-BAE8-4A2B-809F-68F114D025A7.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 0F21D3F8-89D7-48BF-8E9F-1E0B58341BAE.png
    0F21D3F8-89D7-48BF-8E9F-1E0B58341BAE.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
More learn from me.
Was at the local lake and it was a great day but scattered t-storms. we dodged one cell at the south end of the lake and kept boating all afternoon. But then another cell came up that wasn’t going to miss so we headed to a local public dock for a restaurant/ice cream shop. I roped off just as the rain started and we all go under the big porch. Well, even on an inland lake, the storm came through and kicked up big waves, rain and all hell. my bow dock line broke and my boat was blown out the slip and was holding by only one line! I got soaked but pulled it back in and hooked up two more lines. They held, but the boat took a beating. It rebounded so hard into the dock, and on the waves, that my rub rail got jarred loose from the track (see pics). I couldn’t believe how crazy a “little” lake could get with a storm! I’ll have to tap it back in place with a mallet tonight, but dang. Also, the bulge pump kicked on and ran for a lot longer than I was eventually comfortable with. It was raining buckets while I was docked, so I guess no surprise. We did finish the ice cream and continued boating and then went home, but a good day and lesson learned. Make sure your dock lines are new/strong and capable!

Attachments

• C325F5A5-ADB2-4772-8A5A-7222A70029FB.png
    C325F5A5-ADB2-4772-8A5A-7222A70029FB.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • F9BC0CE0-CAA1-4008-9C02-56BD0D4E532C.png
    F9BC0CE0-CAA1-4008-9C02-56BD0D4E532C.png
    4 MB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back