Bring a Sportster 4 tec back to life

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Boz

I got a deal I could not pass up.... but would greatly appreciate help as I am new to Jet boats.
I have just gotten a 2003 Sportster 4 tec 150 that was used less than 20 hours looks beutifull. Bad news is it has sat for 6 years and hasn't started in 4 years. it has nearly a full tank of bad gas.
Is there a good way to clean the tank?
The fuel pump fuse keeps blowing so I pulled the fuel pump - Nasty condition. How do I rebuild it? or can I have it sent out to be rebuilt?
Should I pull the injectors?
Other maintenance issues I should address?
Appreciate all the advice I can get!

Last edited:
Super low hour toys are usually not a good thing (unless they are started and run regularly or if they were pickled properly). Sure they look amazing, but long term sitting means bearings and seals (and all sorts of other items) have gone long times without lubrication. Usually not a good thing once you get them fired up and running.

What you're seeing is exactly why I said what I said. You're going to need to go through each system and make sure they are working as they should.

Electrical items should be fine, but you're gonna want to do a full service on the boat (oil, filter, O-ring, plug change), then drain and clean the tank. Check your coolant. Wouldn't hurt to flush and drain as well. Check your pump cone for grease and condition of grease. I'd pull the pumps and spin the shafts listening for any bearing noise or drag.

You're popping fuses cause your fuel pump is drawing too much power when trying to pump. I'm sure its all gummed up. Not sure if they can be rebuilt, but you'll definitely need to fix or replace it. The entire fuel system may be just as bad.

I'd take a look down the cylinders before you fire it up. If it looks super dry or if you see any rust, I'd put a squirt of oil down each plug hole to help upon 1st fire up. I'd crank her over in "flood mode" prior to starting to ensure things are moving properly and to listen for any odd sounds.

Good luck with your resurrection. Post some pics and let us know how it's going.

Thanks JPass - Here are a couple of photos after a good power-wash before the snow started to fly here in Ohio.... Good news is i have all winter to dig into this project...

I'll get some better pics of the pump tomorrow... Here is the fuel pump (lots of crystallization) and two pics of the engine...

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
Yeah man that pump is all varnished up. I'd pull the fuel rail and injectors to see if they look the same. You may be able to clean the rail and soak the injectors in something to clean them up before you have to fork over cash to replace.

You'll want to blow through as many fuel lines as you can to ensure they're not clogged as well.

Have you checked the oil yet?

Did check the Oil... looked perfect.
Plan on pulling the plugs tonight to get some oil in the cylinders and let it soak... Also have a buddy who may have access to a scope which will be great for peaking down the cylinders.

I swear I saw a post on here on how to replace the pump in pump assembly but I can't seam to find it...

Absolutely on the oil change and plugs... pics attached of the plugs I pulled last night... everything looks good so far...

Attachments

• IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 31
Plugs looks pretty dark to me. Good thing you're replacing. 4Tecs are very picky about their plugs.

Where are you in Ohio? I rebuild a lot of 4tecs and probably have everything you need.

I have brought back several 4tecs that have sat for years including a 2003 that sat for 10 years in storage.

The fuel pump can be taken apart and cleaned and then run in a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of inches of gas for testing. Injectors usually do pretty well once you get new gas through them.

Thanks ski-d00
What a coincidence... I am in Whitehouse less than 1.5 hrs from you and I travel to Lima once a month for work which can't be 20 min from you... I'll send you a PM!

Having bought a 2010 210 Challenger that was sitting a couple years, I had some different 'sitting around issues' from yours but had been resting longer than it should. With a little tinkering and replacing some parts over the first month of owning and just basic maintenance we had an entire season last year with out a single issue. Having owned 4 different 4tec Sea Doo PWC's all trouble free I couldn't be happier!

You will get this boat running and once you do its going to be a reliable boat. I am extremely happy with every 4tec I have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back