Break in procedure for new GTI SE 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhunter

Hi all
I have owned several machines over the years but this is the first new one.
Is there anything special you should do for break in besides varying throttle and not clamping to the bar.
Also see conflicting timeframe. 5 hours or 10.
This is a gti se 155.
Any thoughts would be great

Follow your owner's manual, it will tell you what they want for warranty and all that jaz.

I like to heat cycle my engines for about 15 minutes then let them cool for 15, varying the throttle. Under 1/2 throttle for the first 1/3 tank.

If it is like my new GTI 90 from last year, the break in period will be computer managed for a period of about 10 hours. You will have the impression that something is wrong with your new ski with sudden drops in speeds, slow acceleration and maximum speed not going over 25-30 hours (like in eco-mode or learning key). Also during the first 5-10 minutes of starting the engine, you will simply not be able to accelerate at all and the engine will drop in RPMs if you try.

I am curious to see if you will have that behavior on your new ski. If not, then don't go too fast, don't accelerate too fast, let the engine heat a for a few minutes before riding, do not ride at constant speeds for too long and keep that regime for about 10 hours.

I should make the maiden voyage tomorrow.
I will let you know how it does.
The weather has been terrible up here in Massachusetts this spring, cold and rain.
I really dont want to go in the water yet but want it broken in before the good weather.
Water is still in the low 50's.

Took it out for 1st time yesterday. Ran like a champ.
Ran it for 15 then shut down for 20 or so.
Then ran again. It was fast right away. Had to really make an effort to keep speeds down, it wanted to go.I left it in touring mode the day.
Ran about 2 hours. Everything worked as it should

So it seems that the computer controlled break in function is still only available for the 900 engine (Spark and GTI 90), not yours. I thought they would have extend it to the 1500 engine as well this year.

So it seems that the computer controlled break in function is still only available for the 900 engine (Spark and GTI 90), not yours. I thought they would have extend it to the 1500 engine as well this year.

I broke in my GTI 155 SE last year and there was no computer control or governor. I spent 10 excruciating hours going from low, to half, to 80% speed, varying revs, etc., as recommended here. It sucks but I'd rather have peace of mind than wonder for the next 10 years if I damaged it.

Aside: geez the weather sucks this year. Pretty sure I was out on the water around this time last year. Unthinkable now and likely for the next few weeks.

Fixing to have to start my break-in process on a GTI 90 and Wake 155 if I can get good weather enough to get to the lake for a weekend. 10 hrs seems like it will be a long time before being able to give it hell. Does it call for cycling of RPMs and nothing over 75% throttle or will it call for run and off periods? having to shut it off at regular intervals will suck.
I suppose that the learning key would be appropriate during this time?
Is there an oil change requirement after the 10 hr break-in?

I don't pick them up until tomorrow at the earliest so I haven't gotten to go through the manual.

Learning definitely a good idea for break in if you can't refrain yourself. The eco mode will also give you about the same effect that the learning key but you will have control over the display. I don't know for the Wake but my GTI 90 was computer controlled.

I now have a few hours on the new gti 155.
I have been using the learning key for the last couple rides.
It is difficult to putt around with the normal key. 10 hours seems excessive but i will attempt to get to that point before clamping it in sport mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back