Brand new SeaDoo XP owner from NY, got a couple questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys my name is Jesse, I just bought my first jet ski, I've only ridden a ski twice before in my life but I loved it. I just picked up a 96 Seadoo XP with a trailer and paperwork for $1,100 bucks back in March which I thought was pretty damn reasonable, right now I'm going through the paces trying to get it ready to take it out.

So far I've taken out the fuel tank, cleaned it, changed the float in the baffle which solved my gas gauge issue, fixed my steering which was binding up from the handlebar end of the cable rod being bent, I've gone through all the connections and strapped everything up nice, I've cleaned the entire hull out, bought the hose and pincher and had it running and everything is coming along good.

So on the to do list is all new fuel lines and clamps, fuel filter and o ring, fuel tap, oil, oil filter, anti rattle cone, and cone oil. Everything I listed is on it's way and I can't wait to get it going.

The things I need some help with are the gauges. I just had the ski running, unfortunately some moron painted the hood with their eyes closed at one point and oversprayed the gauges and mirrors. I ordered a new hood with a beautiful set of clear, non water filled gauges but the guy just cut the harness to pull it out. I'm gonna buy the tool to undo the terminals and swap hoods but before i do I want to see what works on mine so I can better sell them on ebay. So I know the multi function gauge works, but after just running it the battery light is flashing intermittently. The battery is 3 years old but seems to be holding a charge.
Next is the VTS gauge, I know the trim works I can physically see it, but when would the gauge work? The gauge has condensation in it but the bigger problem is while the ski is running and I adjust the trim, the gauge does nothing, idk if I have to be in the water for it to work, but someone who has this ski could easily answer me that. The next is the speedo, while running, I can spin it fast with my finger but I can't seem to register anything on the gauge. Like I said I'm replacing the gauges anyway but I want to know if they work so I can sell them on ebay or if I have to take it out on the water to find out.
My next question pertains to the DESS key, I only have one, which for me is not nearly enough, I like to have 4 keys to everything, I'm crazy like that. So i can see the keys are $50 no big deal, and I know I can't program them. My question is in everyone's experience how much is it to program a key(s)? If I can get 3 programmed for like $50 and say I spent $200 altogether for piece of mind, I'm happy with that, I know it's only 10 minutes of work

Lastly, I have a freeze plug leaking on my head pipe, I was gonna patch it up with some JB weld or might possibly buy a good used for $70, any thoughts?

Other than that I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do to the ski to maintain the ski, like I said I'm completely new to watercraft any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the best SeaDoo forum; a wealth of good info and helpful members.

Looks like you have covered the biggie: fuel system. If you had the gray Tempo fuel lines you are well advised to clean out or rebuild the carbs, they (especially the little internal filter) gets gunked up. Lean running will result in a blown engine.

Contact @minnetonkaforme (I just did) for DESS programming if you can afford the extra time involved in shipping your mpem to him. There are probably others out here that will do this.

The 96 XP is subject to a fuel tank recall. Call your local dealer with the HIN and they can tell you if it has been done. If not done they will replace it at no cost to you, you just need to get the ski to them to do the work. Important for them to be replacing these after all these years.

Seems I recall at least one thread out here regarding the freeze plug problem.

Have fun

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back