Bought two 96 XPs!! (pics)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shattered00

So as I was working on my 95 XP and incorrectly believed that I had it good to go, I sought two other skis so that myself and my two cousins could cruise the lake. I located these two and bought them for $700 total with trailer. I figured that the trailer alone was worth 500-700 and the skis in parts were maybe 300 a piece if things went south. I do hope that I did not make a bad purchase. That being said, the previous owner did not take care of them, nor did he seem to know a lot about them. They sat for about two years at a marina lot uncovered. I did my best to check them out for any major damage. One started and had compression in each cylinder but that was with the bad gauge I had so I am not sure what it actually is. The bad gauge read 145 in each. The other ski did not start and only made a beep.

The things I noticed at first was that the ride plate on the one that started was smashed and split where the speedometer wheel is. The "cushion" part that is between the hull and the styrofoam near the starboard-stern had leaked and was completely flat (i.e. whatever material such as sand that was in it leaked out). I did not know how to fix this at the time or if it would be a big deal, so I went on with the inspection. There was a crack in the gelcote near the bow that was down to the fiberglass. Other than that, I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

The second one had an aftermarket starter with the wrong screw used. The electrical box at the front and the back of the ski was open as if someone had tinkered with it. The VTS rod near at the stern was snapped. One spark plug was a 7 and one was an 8.

The wear ring on both of them appeared to have very little room between it and the impeller and I did not see any major nicks in the impellers. One has condensation around one of the hood gauges, and the gasket/o-ring around some of the gauges appears to be unsealed.

The trailer bearings appeared to be good when I drove it a short distance. It needs new taillights.

IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG

I have been unable to get the starter screw out as it was stripped (I could see the slivers of metal poking out from the hole). I have tried heating it up, using a socket flat head, and anything else that would give me more leverage. Any ideas? It has not moved at all. Also, I see that the manifold exhaust tube has a weld job. Does it look like it will hold? As I progress, I will update this thread. I did not call the thread a restoration, because I do not believe it is within my ability to restore these things to pristine condition, but I do hope to improve the aesthetics a bit and get them running. I have a new VTS rod thanks to Tonka and I have a replacement ride plate along with two new Mikuni carb kits, needles and seats, fuel hose to replace grey lines, tygon tubing for oil injector lines, oil filters, new fuel selector switches and filters. Hope y'all enjoy this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
That weld job on the manifold is very common. At least they welded it, and didn't use JB Weld. lol

If all else fails with the starter bolt, and you run out of ways to remove it, it is pretty simple to pull this engine and then get at it on a bench. You might need to weld something to the stripped bolt or use a stud puller, so that it can be unscrewed and the thread repaired. I pulled my engine without using a sling or anything, and I have a bad back. Getting it back in is a bit more hassle, you will need an alignment tool, but they can be rented/borrowed.

I did try vice grips, but they did not get enough of a bite and when I tried to move them using the leverage bar they slipped to the side. I will give it another go this weekend and/or buy a smaller pair. I will attempt to remove the engine if that fails. Will update with success or failure. Thanks for the responses.

With the threads being stripped that bad it might be hard to remove. I would hit it with an impact and see what happens. I wouldn't be suprised if you shear the head off the bolt before it comes out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back