Bought a 2011 Seadoo Speedster 150 at auction. Now what?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says. I just bought a 2011 seadoo speedster 150 at an online auction. I pick up the boat this friday and want to be prepared to go through it and do general maintenance before trying to get it running. I own a 95 speedster with the twin 657's and have rebuilt one of the engines and all the carburetors but the 4tec is new to me so I want to get everyone's opinions. As of now there is no service records or information available. I will ask when I pick it up. The boat was used on a marine base and was rented out so hopefully the maintenance was done but I wont know for sure. What should I inspect, look for and do before trying to get her running?
My plan
1. inspect everything, see if there is anything major out of order. Any suggestions on what to look at?
A. wear ring
B. impeller
2. new spark plugs
3. change coolant
4. Change the oil. (my understanding is that the boat needs to run to change the oil) Should I do what I can then run the boat and finish the job or just wait until its running and do it once?)
5. Change jet pump oil
6. ?
Thanks for your help!

I’ve no advice yet. Hoping to pick up my first 4tech challenger this weekend too. Just wanted to say congrats on the purchase and good luck. I’ve recently joined this forum very helpful experienced friendly people here. Keeping us 10yr+ old boat buyers in the know!

I own same year! Make sure bilge pump works.

That the navigation lights works as well.

Depth finder. Mine wasn't working took it to a dealership and it was not enabled in the ECU.

1, check prop
2, check wear ring
3, pump is sealed with grease, remove cone and check for water inside the cone, they rarely leak
4. Wipe the oil on a clean white rag or paper towel, if it looks light brown, no need to change it,,,if it is milky,,,means it was submerged and needs a flush.
5, if the plugs are white to light brown, no need to change plugs.
6. CHECK
THAT BILGE IS WORKING, ESPECIALLY AUTOMATIC MODE.
7, do a load test on the battery, nothing worse than being stranded at the dock or off shore.
8, check that it is charging.
9. Clean out ski locker, run hose through drains to see that it is draining to bilge.
10, finally check that there is an intake grate and that nothing is wrapped around the drive shaft.
Just some ideas.

I agree with the above suggestions, but would also say take it slow and investigate the condition one thing at a time. I recently rescued a Spark from an auction and had to remove a broken spark plug from the #1 cylinder. You never know what you're going to get.

Since you have no history, I would add...
1. Pull the plugs and turn over the motor with the throttle all the way open, this will prevent it from firing up and let you hear how it spins. You're just making sure it's not frozen, make sure you don't get a bunch of water or oil coming out the cylinders.
2. Peer into the cylinders with a light and just make sure everything looks typical. If you have a boroscope, even better.
3. I see you're already a premium member, so study that shop manual front to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back