Boat is at the dealership...warranty issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure i've never seen 8100 on my 2008 SE--would be interested to hear if others have. I've been at 47 mph on the river but think that might be with the current so not gps'd. At best, I'm 7950 or so and 42 by myself and maybe 39 with 2 others in the boat

I use Jet Thrust, they are in Gwinnett county off 316. Can't think of the guys name but seen to be ok. they only think they have done is replace my tower speakers. I have to call them and see when I can get my trailer in to get the recall fixed (bleed the brakes). I feel your pain with Smith Powersports They got to the point where they called BRP and refused to work on my baot after it came back with more issues than it went in with. Tired the JOA dealer too. They had my boat for 3 months to fix the glove box and still could get it done. BRP still owes me a set of tires. Don't expect Charles Smith at Smith Powersports to go to bat for you with BRP.

We Boat on Allatoona, What lake do you go to?

I'm pretty sure i've never seen 8100 on my 2008 SE--would be interested to hear if others have. I've been at 47 mph on the river but think that might be with the current so not gps'd. At best, I'm 7950 or so and 42 by myself and maybe 39 with 2 others in the boat

I have the same boat. Can't recall the RPMs (8K I believe), but I've hit 49 MPH on a perfectly calm lake with just me in the boat. I've hit 47 with 2 adults and 2 children - which impressed me. I'm 180 lbs...

I feel your pain - UPDATE

The day after posting my story, got the Challenger 180 out with the error codes from SeadooSnipe and diagrams I got from one of the parts vendors online. The P5046 error said "Exhaust gas temperature switch shorted to 12v or open circuit". Looked at the diagram and found the EGT switch. Looked at the place it should be and finally, basically standing on my head, noticed a nice little blue electrical pigtail hanging where the EGT switch was located and it did not have anything connected. Immeditely saw this wire that had the complementary connector laying in the bottom of the boat. A little dielectric grease, snap the connector together and, wow, no more P5046. Just my opinion, but when you pay a dealership too much money to fix something, shouldn't they do a quick check of their work and at least start the boat to see if there are any error codes?

OK, 1 problem down, now need to see why the bilge pump is popping fuses. Since both the switched fuse and the one that bypasses the main power both are blowing, seems like the common thing is the bilge pump. The dealer wanted $179, our friends at Seadoo Warehouse were at about $145, and ebay had a new one for $125. After figuring out what was meant by flip the lever and twist the cartridge out, finally found this little black tab on top of the bilge housing, moved it over so the pin did not go in the hole, and the cartridge did come out (a Johnson Pump 550 gph cartridge). The impellor was frozen. A little twist and it broke loose and would spin normally. A little WD40, plug it back in, bilge pump works. Now the FYI, stopped by a fishing store associated with Bass Pro and spotted what looked just like the cartridge for $17.95. At that price, bought it without question. Went to the boat and it was the SAME part number as the Seadoo $179 one. It did not have the housing (which is rivited to the boat nor the auto switch). I simply cut the two leads on the bilge pump side of the pigtail and put in waterproof quick connects. Next time I burn up a bilge pump, it is a $17.95 fix and can be done in 2 minutes.

Now the funny part. The following Monday was Memorial Day. At 10:05 in the morning, I get a call from the dealership, Smith Powersports. They have realized that they have room to "look at my boat" and it will be at "no charge". I said that I had already fixed it myself. Don't get me wrong, I like the folks at Smiths, they are nice people. One 4th of July, my stern light bulb blew and they were out of stock, so they got one from the boat on the floor so I could take the boat out that night. I am going to give them the benefit of doubt and assume that, since they are one of the only dealers in the area, they are so busy that they don't always have time to check their work.

TVZ1965, thanks for the info on that shop in Lawrenceville. Now that the boat is out of warranty, I will be doing more of my own work. But I will try them when I have something that is more than I want to tackle. I am about 7 miles from Lanier, but generally go to Hiawassee and hang out on Chatuge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back