BlackTip mats peeling up, need some kind of adhesive.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vogs77

The previous owner put BlackTip mats on my 97 GTX and they are peeling up. What adhesive can I put on the to get them to stick again.

DAP contact adhesive in the red can. Just make sure you follow the directions exactly.

The previous owner put BlackTip mats on my 97 GTX and they are peeling up. What adhesive can I put on the to get them to stick again.

I use the same mats in my 97 GTX. I think, if you look up my threads, you'll find a pix somewhere. The biggest thing on putting these down, CLEAN AND DRY... even then, I can tell you this, no matter what you put on, they are going to eventually get a slight peel. If it's the same place as mine, it's at the front foot rests.

I use 3M, number 99. Be careful, they sell 77, it's a bit cheaper, but not nearly as good. You will want to pull them up, or pull them back a bit further than they are peeling. Use a good solvent (I use electro sol in a spray can) to clean the surface of the ski, to get wax, etc.. off it. Do not spray that electrosol on your mat, it'll cause it to go soft and melty. Then, I use masking tape to protect everything else. Spray both sides of the area to be re-glued. Using the 3M, if you read the instructions, it'll tell you to coat both sides, YES, do that. But, do not put it together right away. After you spray it, play a couple of your fav songs. You need to wait about 5 minutes to give this glue time to react. Then, you can now stick them together. Before you do it, I had cut a board, which was about 1/8", which I've used to make templates to cut mats for my boat. If you can cut a template, then after you put the pieces together, put that wood, or other object on it, and weigh it down overnight. By morning, it'll be ready for water, and should last a good 4 or 5 years without peeling! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back