Bilge Pump Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyboyZR1

Does anyone know if the bilge pump will work automatically when the battery switch is off? I'm aware that it will turn on as needed with the ignition off, but not sure if the battery switch still has to be ON in order for that feature to work? The reason I ask is my boat had a fair amount of water in it and I had to manually activate the pump to remove the water (the battery switch was OFF). 2012 Challenger 210 Thanks!

Does anyone know if the bilge pump will work automatically when the battery switch is off? I'm aware that it will turn on as needed with the ignition off, but not sure if the battery switch still has to be ON in order for that feature to work? The reason I ask is my boat had a fair amount of water in it and I had to manually activate the pump to remove the water (the battery switch was OFF). 2012 Challenger 210 Thanks!

My 2010 210 Challenger bilge pump will work with the battery switch off. Look on the back of your battery switch (under the starboard side rear flip up seat. You should see smaller wires connected to the battery terminal posts with the battery cables.

Sounds like the auto switch may not be working. I test mine in the spring by putting the drain plug in while the boat is in the driveway, then filling the engine compartment until the pump kicks on.

With my 2012 210 Challenger SE, they are wired directly to the battery terminal and not through the switch. I have also attached a screenshot from our Operator's Guide for the 2012 210 series, that says the same thing, you can't turn it off, even from the switch. The only way it won't turn on is if the pump is damaged, sensor is bad, or your battery is depleted. Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 2.55.50 AM.png

With my 2012 210 Challenger SE, they are wired directly to the battery terminal and not through the switch. I have also attached a screenshot from our Operator's Guide for the 2012 210 series, that says the same thing, you can't turn it off, even from the switch. The only way it won't turn on is if the pump is damaged, sensor is bad, or your battery is depleted. View attachment 40936

To clarify, I can’t turn mine off either. The wires, however, go to the live side of my battery switch. I figured they did this so that they could not accidentally be left off of the battery terminal connections.

Here is how mine is wired to the battery switch. 3 amp fuse for pump in battery switch box.

a430d7fa845063f5d55e57b68ef82036.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. Should I have additional wires on the battery itself? Here’s a pic of the battery. I’ll have to remove the cover on the back of the battery switch to get a better look at those wires.

Attachments

• 138D92B2-6769-4AD5-A0E7-98641FA6674F.jpeg
    138D92B2-6769-4AD5-A0E7-98641FA6674F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Sorry for the misunderstanding. @FlyboyZR1 As far as wiring, it's hard to say knowing what you have installed. I would show you mine, but mine has a dual battery setup, with a dual battery battery tender and some extra wiring to feed my amp and run into a 2-battery switch.

That said, using @go_panthers picture, the positive lead of the battery is being connected to the main battery cut off switch. The brown, larger gauge (thin wire) is tied to the same lead that the main battery (+) lead is connected to, meaning it will alway be connected to the + end of the battery, even though it isn't directly connected to the battery. The way the battery switch work isn't setup to be the connection between positive and negative of the battery. It's connecting the + end of the battery to the rest of the electrical system. Same thing as just removing all the cables on just the positive end of the battery, which opens the circuit and wont work. But again, since the pump wire is connected to the same side as the live battery lead, it isn't affected by the switch. You could do the same thing, installing a switch on the negative side of the battery, but you don't as it could be dangerous if you only had a ground switch. If you have the current switch configured, no need to have the switch to ground and just wire all the ground circuit wires to the (-) lead of the battery.

As far as grounding, as you may not see an equally thing wire for the pump, there are multiple grounding points throughout the circuit. There's a grounding bus behind the helm for the dashboard circuits and another for the engines. The bilge pump isn't pulling that much current to require thick cables and need to be directly connected to the (-) lead of the battery. It's probably connected to some ground bus on the engine, i'd have to go check, but where it's connected to isnt important, as long as it's connected to SOME ground. To make sure it's always on, it's has to be connected to the (+) lead, which you just need to check the wire at the switch to see if it's there.

Looking back at your post, how much water was in the bilge and approximately how long did you have the bilge pump on till it couldn't pump out any water? I've cleaned the inside of my boat with a hose and filled up the bilge more than I would on the water and the bilge didn't automatically kick in. Only when I hit a large wave and accumulated a lot of water did it kick in. Most often, after a day of use, water will collect in the bilge. But if you had the bilge pump on for a few minutes, than it may be a bad sensor. I can take a look at the sensor and see how it works and see if it's easy to give a false water level reading.

Thanks for the additional info, guys! I ran the pump for a good 3-5 minutes to remove all of the water ... including having to run it while operating the boat on plane to remove it all. I had noticed a fair amount of water in the ski locker, but hadn't checked to see how much was in the engine compartment or bilge area. I have a one piece cover on the boat, so after heavy rainfalls the only place it could collect water would be through the swim platform doors. Maybe next time I have it out of the water I'll try filling up the bilge with the battery switch off and see if it kicks on.

Smart move running the pump on plane! Should ask if you keep your boat in the water or on the trailer, when you don't use it? For draining, the anchor lockcer has a drainage point that goes to the ski locker, which then drains into the bilge. The swim platform still drains and shouldn't accumulate that much standing water, unless your drainage "guard", the black flap on each side of the stern, is clogged up a bit.

Definitely would say try putting water in test to the pump, but saying you ran the pump for ~4min, that's ~33 gallons of water pumped out. If you had a recent rain storm with the cover on, I can't imagine that much water pooling in from rain. And with that much water, it would think it would have automatically gone off. I've had days when we had a lot of people swimming and tubing and constantly getting in the boat wet that the water accumulated from them being in the boat was enough to automatically trigger the bilge pump. Next time you're out on the water, curious to know if water could be getting in from a worn out seal or the drain plug isn't sealing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back