Big problem from the get-go

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacmudracin

I got a good question at least it's a good one for me I got a 97 seadoo GTX 800 with the 787 motor I'd change the stator regulator battery jet pump wear ring carburetors clean three times nothing in them change the exhaust valve on the water box change the reve valves with complete new ones change the water box change all fuel lines changed all water lines it's pretty much a new Sea-Doo oh a new plugs too a few times and I still have the exact same problem as the very very beginning since I bought it when you ride it and you try to get going it will not open up until I hit a wave and it comes out the water a little in the RPMs instantly jump to 7ish and then it will run as it should until I let out of the throttle and then it goes right back to it and it won't go over 4500 RPM again until I do it again and this is a numerous thing that doesn't stop until it finally won't open up past 4500 RPM even when it jumps out the water. When I put it back on the trailer after it won't rev past 4500 then it opens up as it should but when you put it back in the water it's back to 4500 again any ideas I'm open to any suggestions is this thing has been a living nightmare so please help open to any suggestions thanks in advance

What would cause this as they are completely new and they have been adjusted from all the way out to all the way in one notch at a time?

There is an updated housing. ( no cut out in exhaust path)
Some of the aftermarket diaphragms are too stiff

You didn't mention replacing the fuel selector valve. Also, clean the mesh filter in the water separator under the hood with dawn or super clean. To rule out that the new regulator/rectifier is not bad, try disconnecting the red wire and see if that resolves the problem. Note, you will not be charging the battery while the red wire is disconnected

Rotary valve worn?

Check this out:

Or, the high speed circuit is still clogged in your carbs. Sometimes, these carbs simply need to be completely replaced to rectify this. Please post your results.

If it was a timing issue then why wouldn't it do it all the time because when it does open up it screams like it should? Carbs are clean and I have replaced them with another set off of my other ski that runs great but it's the same issue? Thanks for the information.... If there's something I'm missing let me know

You didn't mention replacing the fuel selector valve. Also, clean the mesh filter in the water separator under the hood with dawn or super clean. To rule out that the new regulator/rectifier is not bad, try disconnecting the red wire and see if that resolves the problem. Note, you will not be charging the battery while the red wire is disconnected
I will try the red wire trick. Fuel selector has been changed and the water separator has been replaced also. Thanks as I did forget to mention this.

Just some guesses. bad gas??? corrosion on ground wires in rear e-box. corroded ground cable on battery.

Last edited:
Nope none of my wires has corrosion and I've tried multiple times with different gas.... Still no luck any other ideas....

Sounds like what my 97 xp ran like with rave not opening correctly. Did you tighten cap inside rave valve with a wrench or buy hand. You could have gone to far with a wrench that is why mine did not work right.

What was your pop-off setting on the carbs?
Did you replace the needle and seat and spring with genuine Mikuni parts?
Did you check the spray coming from the small holes in the carb throat? (this is critical) The low speed adjuster needs to be in place and the low speed jet needs to be removed. I spray lectra-kleen into the jet hole and make sure I have really good flow from thes (3) holes and the 4th larger hole toward the front of the carb.
You're problem is likely the carbs but there is a (TSB) concerning the rave valve housings and the blades are slotted. I had trouble with my wife's ski and when I followed through on the TSB the ski ran great.

First thing I'd do is do the carbs properly. They are likely the issue. Pop-Off should be around 36-38 psi with the 80mm (black) spring.

Note: Never throw parts at these machines, they will laugh at you. Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back