Bearing noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanet

My Gti starts right up and runs fine, with no unusual noises. Then when I get it on the water. As I take off it make a high pitch whine that gets worse the faster I go. It sounds to my uneducated ears, like a bearing going out. Where are the bearings located, and How would I check them to see if that is the noise. Also why will it rev fine out of the water with no noise, and then make the noise in the water. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Van

There are ball bearings in the crankshaft, needle bearings in the top of the rods and the pumps as well as axial bearings with rollers - prolly the first thing to do is remove the tail from the pump and open the cone over a washed out ice cream carton so you can observe any sparkly stuff draining from there, if the oil is white you will need to rework the seals as the color change occurs from water ingestion, once you get the pump taken apart then evaluate the beraings and pressure surfaces for unusual wearing, the wear ring and bumper pads are almost always found in bad condition. Once the pump is taken out the draveshaft can be pulled and the motor run with no load to listen with a stethoscope to hear any noises involving just the powerplant.

I havnt checked or changed the oil in the pump since I got the ski 2 years ago. Both you guys are nakeing since as to whats wrong, but why does it only make the noise when I am in the water. I cant hear any noise from the bearings when it is on the trailer. Is that just because the engine is too loud, or is there some other reason the noise wouldnt be there unless on the water? Thanks Van

On the trailer there is no load from the pump, driveshaft, exhaust - the pump is most likely the trouble but remove just the cone before you pull the driveshaft/pump out.

I will pull the pump when I get back in town. Are the bearings replaceable, or does the whole pump have to be replaced? Thanks Van

This all depends on if you find water in the cone, then you remove the pump and repair the damage using new bearings/shaft as needed - be sure to put in new bumper rubbers - look up this stuff online parts for pictures how it all fits together, there are several pump repair projects listed here for almost every model.

Were is the best place online to get a gasket kit and or bearings to put this back together. I live way out in the sticks, and the nearest boat shop of any kind is 60 miles away, and they dont carry seadoo. The nearest seadoo dealer is 4 hours away, so I need a source online. I would like to have at least the oil and gasket set, so that if everything is kosher, I can put it all back together. Thanks Van

P.S. If any body has a parts number, that would be appreciated as well.:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back