Barn Find Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

surpluseller

These sat in my buddies barn yard for several years. He gave them to me and I have cleaned them up and have cleaned the fuel tank, oil tank, and replaced all of the fuel lines on the RX and it will start and run. The RX will idle, but bogs down and chokes off at 2050 rpm's in the water. It will crank and turn higher RPM's on the trailer but wont get above 2050 rmp's in the water. I think i may have an airleak in a fuel line, or not have a good seal between the carbs and the intake. Any experience or guidance with this issue would be appreciated. I have also rebuilt the fuel pump on the GTX and have a starter ordered for the GTX because the starter was bad on it.
SeaDoo1.JPGSeaDoo2.JPG

Wow! That's awesome, lol
First things first, what are the cylinder compression numbers?

Unfortunately, that 951 is at the end of it's rope. That should be 130 psi per hole, compression is too low. Also unfortunate, the 951 has about a 200 hour rebuild mark. But hey, congrats on the free skis and welcome to the forum!

I am going to keep both of them for now, I am going to check the compression numbers again. I checked them when i first got them and the numbers were well over 100 psi. I would really like to get the RX going even if i have to rebuild it. I have been reading on here as I go and the forum is a great source of information.

You need to rebuild the carbs on the RX with genuine Mikuni parts and make sure the accelerator pump is squirting fuel.

What starter did you order? Any of the aftermarket ones are crap. You are better off rebuilding the stock one.

I figured the carb would need rebuilding on the RX, and I did order a aftermarket starter for the GTX - the GTX has compression and spark, but i haven't gotten it to fire. The fuel tank and oil tank were full of gunk, and the starter gave out shortly after i installed the rebuilt fuel pump. I am defiantly learning as I go, and I have been trying to access the situation to make sure that these were worth putting the time and money into.

Lol, garden ornaments.

In all serious... A light cleaning on the outside to not ruin any decals and soft spots (cushion, etc...), probably a couple seat cover replacements (I like the looks of the aftermarket ones better). They come preformed, you just stainless steel staple them on over the old.

Do a final compression check after you get them running, as they have been sitting a while and things need to get moving to get back into shape (proper seal).

I think replacement motors are worth it with the prices I have seen some people on here talk about.

It will take a bit of effort on your part, but it looks like you have already decided to get started.

As for if it's worth it...
If you make $1000 a day...nope.
If you are the average joe with a bit of know how and not afraid to dig in...yep.
If you plan to use them instead of sell them...even more so.

i have cleaned both up and the seats are in good shape, i moved the GTX to a cart that I built, and have also been working on the galvanized trailer that came with these machines(tires, lights, and bearings). I enjoy working on projects like this in my spare time and have a fair amount of experience with outboards. I am going to check the compression on the RX again, and look into getting a carb kit for it. Where would be a good source for a carb kit, and a starter rebuild kit fot the GTX?

IMG_2928[3070].JPG

Some people like OSD parts. I couldn't get a response from them. After waiting days and still nothing I have purchased parts from ebay from this guys store.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odk....TRS0&_nkw=seadoo+carburetor+rebuild&_sacat=0

There is a picture with ALL the included parts highlighted. When I was shopping around I got tired of hearing "everything is included" when everything isn't (ie. needle, etc...), so I really value that picture. He responded to my questions fast and even got the parts shipped out the same day. My order is expected to arrive next week (customs etc..) so I can't review past that.

I would suggest OSD as he will get you everything needed including base gaskets and needle and seats that aren't in the kits.

A friend of mine bought them back in 2012 - he had a place at the beach then, but he didn't run them that year, he couldn't get them to run the following year and just put the aside and forgot about them. He gave me the registration and bill of sale to see if I can get them running, we agreed to split the money if I ever sale them. I am really surprised how well they cleaned up, and I received the aftermarket starter for the GTX yesterday - I don't know if it was ethanol in the fuel or what but the fuel pump was clogged up on the GTX, and the fuel tank had gunk in it. I cleaned out the tank and took the fuel pump apart and replaced the pump and filters with a new pump. Below is a picture of the bottom of the pump when I took it out of the GTX. One question i do have it should the RX pee water out of the left front side when running with a hose connected to the back running on the trailer?
FP.JPG

Wow, that is nasty.
Keep an eye on the aftermarket starter and fuel pump as they are not the same quality as OEM. Many have had success with running the pump in a 50/50 mixture of gas and Toluene and just replacing the two filters. As far as the starter you can typically install new brushes from ebay for $16 and they work fine.

Yes, water should be coming out the pisser when on the hose.

I re-checked the compression on the RX and i got 140 and 145 psi on each cylinder. I ordered a Sea Doo Complete 947 (46i Mikuni) Dual Carb Rebuild Package and a Sea Doo MASTER Jet Pump Rebuild Kit #4 from OSD today. Any suggestions to a youtube video or any guidance on installing the carb kit would be appreciated. I am going to install the new starter on the GTX tomorrow night and see if I can get her to fire. I only have one working key between these two skis. Where would be the best place to pickup and extra DESS key. Both posts seem to work, the GTX doesn't beep beep, but will engage the starter when i use the good key. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If your in maryland area r and d power sports makes dess keys for 80 including key really good price and any other keys need to be programed for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back