API TC v TCW3 Oils Colloquy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

Here comes some more information on the subject of oils for a SD.

As I pointed out in other threads, my 93 GTX (587cc) froze on the last day of summer last year and after this non-mechanic, with the help of the boyz from Forum took the engine out of the hull, disassembled the cases and found the Web on my crankshaft was cracked, I took it to Competitive Crankshafts in Orange, CA for a rebuild.

One of the owners, Jeff told me that he had never encountered a cracked web and further pointed out that the bearings on my crank had severe signs of overheating.

He then asked, what "brand of TCW3 oil do I use?" When I told him that I use "Vavoline Marine" he replied, "your bearings are an indication that you are using the wrong type of oil." If you want your engine to stay out of the shop, stop using TCW3 and use the kind of oil that your engine needs: API TC, not TCW3."

Since Jeff at Competitive Crankshafts does not work for Sea Doo, but is in the business of selling crankshafts for all brands of PWC's, I am going to follow his advice.

This is not an advertisement for Jeff, however, if you want an independent opinion regarding this subject, call Jeff at (714) 922-8229 and tell him you want information regarding what caused Joe's (from Riverside) crankshaft to go bad.

I'm an old fart that has endeavored, with vigor to save a buck and have always looked at information people give me with skeptic eye.

I've taken the time writing about this subject because I learned the hard way. Use the type of oil your manual calls for. That does not translate to using Sea Doo's brand.

Depending on the type of engine dictates whether to use a synthetic or a synthetic blend.

In my case, because I have an older (587cc) engine, I will use the synthetic blend.

I hope this additional information helps at least one person avoid the mistake I made.

To those that disregard my advice, good luck and keep the rest of us posted on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back