anyone know what the two purple wires are under the solenoid?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beergut

there's 2 two purple wires under the starter solenoid on my 05 sportster 155- I'm having no luck.
we were out tubing with the kids- I shut the boat off to load all the gear up when they were done tubing-
went to start the boat back up and nothing. the DESS engages, the dummy lights turn on and the computer does the normal beep- but when I push the button to start the motor- nothing. I checked all the fuses front & rear, battery is good & strong, all the accessories work. Got towed back to the dock and jumped across the starter solenoid wit a screwdriver and the motor started up- I'm thinking either neutral safety switch or bad solenoid? wondering how to jump across the neutral switch to rule that out...
any suggestions? thanks!

I have he opposite problem, mine starts in gear. Seeing as that isn't really much of a problem I haven't bothered to investigate the neutral safety switch. So I'll be watching this thread.

I did just change the solenoid on my boat. All I was getting was a click when I pushed the start button. I'd have to push the start button multiple times before it would turn over. It took progressively more start attempts as time went on. With the new solenoid it turns over the first time every time, so far.

this is turning into a royal nightmare... I tried to unscrew the console that secures the throttle & shifter levers- assuming the neutral safety switch is located under there somewhere- the first screw came out with a fight- the other 3 I rounded out the philips screw head and will need to drill them out. then- I rigged up a remote start button jumping across the starter solenoid so I could start the engine- it worked the first time, then nothing! so now even when I jump the solenoid nothing happens, which is scaring the shit outta me because the starter motor should at least spin up- hope I didn't mess up the starter... I'm also praying the mpem (ecu) isn't messed up. I get the 2 quick beeps when I engage the dess, and the 3 quick beeps reoccurring every few seconds because I cant start it. I hear the fuel pump energize when I push the start button- ughhh! wtf!
well- I just ordered 4 screws & a starter solenoid from the sea-doo parts catalog.

i'm looking at the wiring diagram for the 2005 4-tec starting system and I don't even see a neutral safety switch in the circuit anywhere? how does he ecm know to block the starter when the lever isn't iin the neutral position?

well- i know the starter is shot now- I took a voltage reading at the starter with the dvm- 12v going to the starter when the solenoid is jumped but the starter is silent. if I remove the solenoid jumpers and use the start button on the dash, I only get 18mv down at the starter. so, I don't know if ECM isn't triggering the solenoid to send 12v to the starter, or if there's an in-line fuse somewhere I haven't found. would the ECM still give me the 2 "okay" beeps if there was a malfunction in the ECM? this forum needs a sea-doo service tech to answer questions like these!

there's 2 two purple wires under the starter solenoid on my 05 sportster 155- I'm having no luck.
we were out tubing with the kids- I shut the boat off to load all the gear up when they were done tubing-
went to start the boat back up and nothing. the DESS engages, the dummy lights turn on and the computer does the normal beep- but when I push the button to start the motor- nothing. I checked all the fuses front & rear, battery is good & strong, all the accessories work. Got towed back to the dock and jumped across the starter solenoid wit a screwdriver and the motor started up- I'm thinking either neutral safety switch or bad solenoid? wondering how to jump across the neutral switch to rule that out...
any suggestions? thanks!
Go on ebay and search: 05 seadoo sportster 155 repair manual
There are multiple ebay sellers who have repair manuals on both paper and CD.

Go on ebay and search: 05 seadoo sportster 155 repair manual
There are multiple ebay sellers who have repair manuals on both paper and CD.
I'm a premium member here and have access to all the repair manuals i need. worth every penny. but the manuals dont tell you everything you need to make a quick easy diag. ;)

well- I replaced the starter, solenoid & bypassed the NSS- started right up. the NSS was fine but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with it. :)

Hmm, I had that out earlier in the year for a different reason, but didn't notice any wires connected to it. I guess I wasn't looking very hard. Lol

Or mine is disconnected, hence it starts in gear.

Hmm, I had that out earlier in the year for a different reason, but didn't notice any wires connected to it. I guess I wasn't looking very hard. Lol

Or mine is disconnected, hence it starts in gear.
lol! if you take a flashlight and look down inside the hole, you'll probably find the 2-pin connector with a jumper in it. it beats spending $80 on a new switch.

lol! if you take a flashlight and look down inside the hole, you'll probably find the 2-pin connector with a jumper in it. it beats spending $80 on a new switch.

I will definitely have a look. I'm sure it wouldn't start in gear when I bought it 3 years ago, but who knows....old age!

i see so many people on the lake simply removeing the entire reverse system on their skis- like old school skis. i guess after a certain age, it's just a pita dealing with a shifter.

I'm a premium member here and have access to all the repair manuals i need. worth every penny. but the manuals dont tell you everything you need to make a quick easy diag. ;)
Good Point Gut... .... but you raise an equally plexing matter. How do you make quick easy but accurate and informative DIY diag.?

Typically

Good Point Gut... .... but you raise an equally plexing matter. How do you make quick easy but accurate and informative DIY diag.?

Typically
i do it all the time as a biomed working in a hospital- with yes / no flowcharts; does it do this? yes / no.... is voltage at point A this or that? if my childs toy can guess any object I'm thinking of in under 21 questions, and nail it 99% of the time- then it can be done for any engine issue. ;)

On a tangent....this thread has just lit the light bulb in my head for my 2006 Bayliner 185....it seems to be acting like it wants to start in gear.....so naturally I was assuming my shifter cables were either out of adjustment or possibly stretched.....NOW I'll look more closely at the NSS / shifter control to either confirm or rule it out as a contributor/cause.

Haven't even launched that boat this year though....due to HIGH WATER and no dock space....sigh!

lol! you must live in a year round warm climate. everyone on our lake is pulling in their docks and starting to winterize their boats! i leave mine in till late october- I'll pull it out when the last oak leaves fall! :)

lol! you must live in a year round warm climate. everyone on our lake is pulling in their docks and starting to winterize their boats! i leave mine in till late october- I'll pull it out when the last oak leaves fall! :)
Nope....Rochester, NY (although my water is the 1000 Islands/St. Lawrence River)....the Bayliner will remain on dry land this season....St. Lawrence River was 4' higher than normal ALL SEASON, my boathouse was underwater (un-useable this year), so I had limited useable dock space this season---pontoon and skis took priority on the available dock space. I'll be pulling boat and skis out in the next 2 weeks myself.

i do it all the time as a biomed working in a hospital- with yes / no flowcharts; does it do this? yes / no.... is voltage at point A this or that? if my childs toy can guess any object I'm thinking of in under 21 questions, and nail it 99% of the time- then it can be done for any engine issue. ;)
What's that toy you mentioned? Thanks for the humbling advice. Its just not soo clear and obvious to some...you know ..
Where to test what and what yo test for and what those tests suggest. Those were the points I meant to be asking about.
Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back