Any Problems With 2004 4-Tec Sportster ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase a 2004 Sea Doo 4-Tec 155 hp Sportster with only 30 hours on it.
Any concerns with this year boat ?
Was 2004 the first year with the 4-Tec engine ?
It has been used in salt water.
Anything special I should look for when inspecting the boat ?
Is $7,600 with trailer a reasonable price ?

2002 was the first year for the 4tec motor in skis. 2003 was the first year for the boats. The motors were solid right from the beginning and has seen very little evolution over the last 17 years.

Make sure to test drive the boat for at least 20 minutes driving all different ways and full speed runs as well.
Check for water in oil on dipstick and oil filler lid. Check for excessive salt water corrosion.

Price is on the high side, average retail NADA is $5200. You should be able to use that to help negotiate a lower price but they still bring $6k in my area pretty easily if they are nice.

2002 was the first year for the 4tec motor in skis. 2003 was the first year for the boats. The motors were solid right from the beginning and has seen very little evolution over the last 17 years.

Make sure to test drive the boat for at least 20 minutes driving all different ways and full speed runs as well.
Check for water in oil on dipstick and oil filler lid. Check for excessive salt water corrosion.

Price is on the high side, average retail NADA is $5200. You should be able to use that to help negotiate a lower price but they still bring $6k in my area pretty easily if they are nice.
Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I think they are a good running and handling boat. I see nice ones with no issues going for 4-6K around here. Salt use can be terrible if they were not maintaining it right. Make sure it does not have stiff steering or throttle cables. Hopefully it's ok with only 30 hrs. Look at the outside of the engine to make sure it is not all corroded with paint chipping off.

Good engine good boat. 30 hours is pretty low and not a hood selling point at that age. Mechanical things need to be used to stay functioning. 7600 is high, along with hours is age that you must consider just as much. Just because you don't run it doesn't mean parts especially gaskets don't age.6000 or walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back