Anchor used for jet ski while fishing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best is a Danforth Anchor. But for a ski you would want it plastic coated. And one it is coated it does not dig as well. Second best is the Cooper Anchor. But with the Cooper you really need about 3 feet of chain. So get the plastic Cooper with coated chain and you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Cooper Anchor, with chain. Light, portable, and works well. And since you're fishing, and not leaving the anchored ski unattended, it is more than adequate.

I read about the cooper anchor and do wanna give it a try but just the anchor itself is 60 for blue and 90 for black just wanna make sure it will actually hold the ski in place

I read about the cooper anchor and do wanna give it a try but just the anchor itself is 60 for blue and 90 for black just wanna make sure it will actually hold the ski in place

It will hold the ski in place, the chain is important to a Cooper Anchor...

The Danforth is more forgiving relative the chain, but will need some decent line length.

Hey for anchors, do you use these when using the jet ski at a beach so it doesn't get too close to shore? I am afraid if I get an anchor though it will bang around in my storage compartment causing damage when I am hitting waves etc and riding it hard. (1996 GTI with front compartment here).

Thanks

Yes,,, those that do not want to "beach" the ski use anchors. I always wrapped my anchor in a large towel. Never caused damaged.

I've used my Cooper anchor twice. It has 4' of coated chain on it. 'The first time was at the beach, in a muddy sand bottom. It kept pulling out until I went over to it and pushed it into the bottom with my foot, then it stayed in. Water was a little wavy from passing traffic but not rough or moving (tide).
The second time I used it was in about 20' of water. I eventually let out all 100' of anchor line and it never held. The bottom was hard, shell. The water was a bit rough, 1-2 ft waves and the water was moving with the tide. The couple of times the anchor did try to hold, we took waves over the bow. But it never held for more than half a minute or so. When I held the anchor line I could feel it dragging along the bottom trying to bite. Not being able to anchor forced us to cancel fishing that trip.
I have since purchased one of the folding grappling style anchors. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though I'm hoping to before winter ends the season. It's only 3.5 lbs. My thinking is that if the bottom is too hard for the Cooper, then one or two of the grappling arms should hold.

Yes,,, those that do not want to "beach" the ski use anchors. I always wrapped my anchor in a large towel. Never caused damaged.

I use kiddie PFD to hold my danforth anchor from bouncing around.
Plus I added pieces of hydroturf to inside of storage bin to give it some cushioning.

I use kiddie PFD to hold my danforth anchor from bouncing around.
Plus I added pieces of hydroturf to inside of storage bin to give it some cushioning.

On my 27 foot Searay I use to do that all the time. But the ski has smaller storage, so I use the towel.

Has any body tryed the sand bag type are they any good do they work?

They work pretty well. The one complaint I had with mine is the bag materiel was a bit thin and it tore after the second time I used it. So I took the unit to a local canvas guy and had him use the existing line and float and build a bag out of canvas. Works great now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back