Aftermarket gauges

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary pope

I’m thinking about if there’s a way to hook up an aftermarket gauge to my speedster jet boat. Anyone ever tried this?

Which one? All can be replaced. for RPM, select a gauge for 2 cycle 2 cylinder with waste spark, or 4 cylinder 4 cycle. Our motors (710 at least) file twice every revolution.
I had replaced fuel gauge also with after market, but forgot the exact settings to buy. For Speedometer I recommend a GPS gauge. Very accurate.

I have a couple auto meter performance tachometers and was just wondering if they can be installed. I’ve watched different videos that say you can install a standard tachometer on any 2 stroke motor...

It depends on the gauge. They measure sparks to extrapolate RPMs so a 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder engine need different tach settings, but some tachs have a switch to select the engine type. Is there a switch or any indication of a configuration option on that gauge? I recall a few important wires. Power+, Ground, Instrument Light+ and Signal. Just hook up to match. Service Manual has the wire schematics.

From my understanding, TACHs get their input from the #1 cylinder firing. With that being said, a 2 stroke 2 cylinder sparks the #1 cylinder twice as often as the 4 stroke counterparts. I believe some gauges are either 2 stroke or 4 stroke only, while some have a switch in the back that allow you to run them in different engines. Obviously diesel will totally be different, and also I'm not sure if 4, 6 and 8 cylinders are different for tachometers. I would just get a used one from ebay, so you can make sure the RPMs are correct (both for the display and the actual shown RPMs).

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back