Adding Chartfinder - need hull info Utopia 205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Jones

I have an Utopia 205 (2003). Adding a Garmin GPS/depth finder to boat. Would like not to have to install an external transducer. Does anyone know for sure is the boat bottom SOLID fiberglass, or is it composite? It has to be solid to install a thru hull transducer.

Any experience out there with this or suggestions?

If this is for depth reading you may try and use some temporary pudy and place it where you think it may work and then check and see if it is correct buy measuring the depth of water you are in a couple of places. I can allways be wrong so good luck. :)

The bottom of the hull is pretty solid. Here's what you do, with the boat in the water set the transducer in the water and see the depth of the water.(Now you know it works) Look at the bottom of the boat. Make sure the inside location isn't over the jet pump or other items between the inside hull and the bottom. Now scuff the location on the bottom with 400 grit sand paper...wet dry is preferred. Add a little water to fill the area that you are setting the transducer on the bottom of the boat on. This will fill the air gap of the transducer and the hull. Water is pretty dense, so it is like it is fixed to the Hull bottom. Now set the transducer on the water and the bottom of the hull, and see if the transducer "shoots" or picks up the bottom depth. It should be the same as the water you are in. Put the transducer over board to measure the depth than replace it in the location in the hull. It should be the same. If not, try another location. If it reads the same remove the water and dry the spot and use "clear slow dry 2 part epoxy" read the direction, apply and you done. I have done this like 17 times...I do a lot of them for grateful friends...

Karl

Just to add a bit to Karls reply, when you mix your epoxy to stick it down be gentle mix slowly, dont make air bubbles, any air in between transducer and hull will ruin readings. Another way to test if you can't get the water to puddle in the right place, use silicon to stick it down, its easy to get off later to apply the epoxy.

Uh.... I tried silicon and had to scuff more material from the mating surface to get the epoxy to stick.
Karl

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their advise. Working this weekend so will try next week week. Still being advised by the person doing it for me to use the external transducer, but I want to try as advised here. Karl, wished you lived in Miami.

Thanks again. I found this forum while searching for an answer to this question. Will become a regular reader. Thanks again to all.

I would avoid the external transducer... Plus, you have to drill a hole to get the wire out the transom...

Karl
P.S. Bring you boat here to Englewood, and I'll install it...uh.. I got beer on tap also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back