99 Speedster SK Speedometer not Working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrump

I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions. The speedometer will not work, I have checked the wiring harness on the back of the speedometer and the speed sensor. Everything seems to be plugged in, but is there another connection somewhere between the two and is there a way to check if your speed sensor is bad, and last, does the speedometer work with the engines off.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Scott

Welcome to the seadoo forum Scott. To check the speedometer go to the sensor at the rear of the doo and connect a multimeter to the 2 of the 3 wires at the sensor. Connect the + probe to the Purple/Yellow wire and the - Probe to the Black/Orange wire. Spin the wheel and see if the resistance goes up and down on the meter. If the resistance fluctuates than it is working, and it is ok. Now go to the spedo 6 pin connector and check for the resistance here too. l use the + probe on the White and the - on the White/Black wires. if this checks out ok than it's in the spedo. I don't believe there is any test you can do to check out the spedo itself. It only reads resistance fro the sensor wheel. If you don't get any resistance from the sensor to the white wires at the spedo, it is in the wiring. Let us know if we can help out any more.

ScubaDoo

Last edited by a moderator:
missing wire

Thanks, I hooked up the wires to the multi-meter and did not get anything, but I see that you stated that there are 3 wires. From what I can tell, there are only 2 coming from the sensor. I have a purple/yellow and the black/orange. Am I missing a wire?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, I looked at the wire diagram in the manual section, and it showed 3 wires in the picture of the sensor. I have found sometimes it will show a 3rd wire, but only 2 are ever used to test the unit. The actual diagram itself showed 2 wires color coded as I posted.

It seems like the sensor is the problem.
ScubaDoo

Speed Sensor

My speed sensor arrived yesterday, I went to install this morning and found that there are three wires. When I took off the old speed sensor, one wire was not connected. The wire not connected is brown/red, my new speed sensor also has this wire. So I have to ask what is this wire for and where should it be connected?

Thanks in advance for any help,
scrump

In the harness is a White, and a White/Black wire that the 2 sensor wires connect to. Purple/Yellow and Black/ Orange wires are the colors from the speed sensor.(or should be from the manual). Look for the white wires and let me know if this solves your problem. It shouldn't matter which way to connect them.

Karl

Ok, I know the white and white / black connect to the purple/yellow and black/orange, but I have a third wire that is not connected. The third wire is brown/red. I have connected the sensor and all works well, but I am curious what this extra wire is for and would like to have it connected correctly.

Thanks for the help Karl,

scrump

I looked in the manual and under the wiring diagram it doesn't show that extra wire. It could be that wire might be for a water temperature guage on other models that your speedster doesn't have.

Karl

Cool!

Thanks for the info, I will just pretend it doesn't exist. I will be sure to cap it off or something....

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back