99 gsx ltd troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benfica7685

Hello all,

Im having trouble getting my 99 gsx started. I replaced the starter, spark plugs and a new battery Then it was cranking good with power but starting, but then i noticed the starter was almost falling out due to a stripped hole that holds it in place. So i took off the carbs and exhaust manifolds, rotax to get the hole re-threaded. Then put starter back and secured Also changed fresh gaskets while at it. When tried to start It clicked once no cranks to starter then 0 clicks. Relay looked in bad shape so replaced that and changed blown fuses, back to 1 click now. Replaced a bad black cable from under engine block to battery still 1 click. I guess my question is what could it possibly be? I mean i had the power before now its not connecting somewhere, also the starter i Put in was indeed the cheap 35$ one from ebay not the SBT i pulled out .

Yes, you can clamp the starter in a vise and then put the positive clamp on the screw the positive cable went to, and the negative cable goes to the case.

I pulled the cheap brandnew aftermarket starter and it failed the test . The SBT passed so i rebuilt it with some fresh parts and it passed when tested . I installed it back and tried to start With a new realay and battery 12.6V still getting one click as if , However Was alot More spark when i tried to bypass touching the relay posts with a screwdriver and the starter was getting a click and not turning like when i tested it . Any ideas? All cables tested 0-1 on multimeter. Im thinking the ground should be connected to the starter , previous owner said it doesnt have to be but when i tested it the starter ran well when negative was connected to the metal case .

Thats an issue i cant figure out, for some reason some people say a ground doesnt need to be connected there But it makes no sense . I have both grounds from engine case to battery. Theres one under by the starter and another above, im not sure which one goes to starter ?

Thats an issue i cant figure out, for some reason some people say a ground doesnt need to be connected there But it makes no sense . I have both grounds from engine case to battery. Theres one under by the starter and another above, im not sure which one goes to starter ?
According to your ski wiring diagram.....the starter is grounded to the engine case, so no direct cable ground connection from battery to starter is needed. The engine case is grounded back to the battery though....so make sure all your grounds are there.

According to your ski wiring diagram.....the starter is grounded to the engine case, so no direct cable ground connection from battery to starter is needed. The engine case is grounded back to the battery though....so make sure all your grounds are there.
Which diagram are you looking at? The service manual I have shows a ground connected to the starter on page 08-04-6, and the wiring diagram shows the starter having a ground cable as well... I’m wondering if one of us is looking at a diagram for an RFI rather than a carb ski...

Which diagram are you looking at? The service manual I have shows a ground connected to the starter on page 08-04-6, and the wiring diagram shows the starter having a ground cable as well... I’m wondering if one of us is looking at a diagram for an RFI rather than a carb ski...
Page 477 of the 1999 shop manual (wiring diagram) for GSX Limited.

Ah, I see what you see....that to me is the engine ground (as shown on 08-04-6) as it doesn't connect directly to the starter....even though the picture does say "starter ground".

The wiring diagram in the back doesn't show a direct ground connection to the starter, just the starter connected into the engine case.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s kind of a confusing visual there. The ground is right next to the starter, but isn’t actually terminated there. Unfortunately I don’t have a 951 ski to look at and see how it’s done from the factory... Does anyone have a stock ski they could peek at?

Now you see why im confused with the grounds i feel like it isnt turning the starter because grounds arent connected right , though when i pulled the starter and rebuilt it then tested it worked fine with a ground connected when i got it the battery was not there with 2 grounds 1 connected under the engine then 1 connected to the case near the carbs so im guessing one of those needs to go to starter as i had both To battery no starter. Pics below

Attachments

• FC48CC7B-62EF-4214-831B-B478CB32A6CF.jpeg
    FC48CC7B-62EF-4214-831B-B478CB32A6CF.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 16298A0E-D6BA-4E9C-B5C0-52925EE98B51.jpeg
    16298A0E-D6BA-4E9C-B5C0-52925EE98B51.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
I have a 98 GTX Limited and the battery ground connects directly to the starter. The end cap of the starter has two clearance holes for mounting and a 3rd tapped hole for the ground cable. The side of the starter has the post for the positive wire coming from the relay.

Photo attached with a small screwdriver resting on the ground terminal.

Attachments

• 1E15D59D-8D6C-4DB0-BE3C-5439CEB819AC.jpeg
    1E15D59D-8D6C-4DB0-BE3C-5439CEB819AC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
I have a 98 GTX Limited and the battery ground connects directly to the starter. The end cap of the starter has two clearance holes for mounting and a 3rd tapped hole for the ground cable. The side of the starter has the post for the positive wire coming from the relay.

I believe thats a 782 though and problem is i got 2 grounds in it just trying to work out where they're supposed to go initially

I guess i can try both ways just dont wanna keep screwing down there its a pain but then what to do with the 2nd ground ? Like what ckrawiec said makes sense perhaps

Yes, that is correct for a 1998 GTX Limited...the Starter is grounded directly to the battery which also then grounds the engine case to the battery, when the starter is installed.

The machine in question though (in this post stream) is a 1999 GSX Limited, which has a slightly different ground configuration.....either accomplishes the same objective though....the starter needs to ground back to the battery either directly (cable) or indirectly (through the engine case).

Yes, that is correct for a 1998 GTX Limited...the Starter is grounded directly to the battery which also then grounds the engine case to the battery, when the starter is installed.

The machine in question though (in this post stream) is a 1999 GSX Limited, which has a slightly different ground configuration.....either accomplishes the same objective though....the starter needs to ground back to the battery either directly (cable) or indirectly (through the engine case).
Whats the point of 2 cables then if i can just connect directly to battery? There was one i believe from bottom Of case to battery then another part of the case by the carbs To the starter i believe .

Whats the point of 2 cables then if i can just connect directly to battery? There was one i believe from bottom Of case to battery then another part of the case by the carbs To the starter i believe .
Could possibly be a ground path issue......sometimes the ground path might be broken by components separated by gaskets, etc.....and the ground path needed to be made continuous.

On my '96 there is 1 big black cable which grounds the engine case. The starter gets grounded through the engine case. The only cable connection I have directly to the starter is the big RED cable.

Could possibly be a ground path issue......sometimes the ground path might be broken by components separated by gaskets, etc.....and the ground path needed to be made continuous.

On my '96 there is 1 big black cable which grounds the engine case. The starter gets grounded through the engine case. The only cable connection I have directly to the starter is the big RED cable.
Well im hoping its a bad ground path. Its got brand new battery 12.4-6 volts tested, new relay, new ground cable, new sparks. Starter passed test when pulled out once installed just 1 click and when i put scewdriver to relay posts u get big sparks still doesnt turn starter . Of all things left has to be bad connection right ? Ignition coil has not been replaced though .

The best test you can run to see if you have a bad ground connection is as follows:
1) Put your meter on the battery terminals and press the start button and record the voltage. This is your battery baseline.
2) Put your meter on the starter post (+) and the battery terminal (-). Press the start and record the voltage.
3) Put your meter on the starter post (+) and the starter mounting bolt (-). Press the start and record the voltage.

If the Voltage measurement is step 3 is much lower than step 2, you have a bad ground connection. If measurements in 2 and 3 are similar but considerably lower than step 1 (baseline) you have a bad positive terminal connection between the battery and the starter.

The best test you can run to see if you have a bad ground connection is as follows:
1) Put your meter on the battery terminals and press the start button and record the voltage. This is your battery baseline.
2) Put your meter on the starter post (+) and the battery terminal (-). Press the start and record the voltage.
3) Put your meter on the starter post (+) and the starter mounting bolt (-). Press the start and record the voltage.

If the Voltage measurement is step 3 is much lower than step 2, you have a bad ground connection. If measurements in 2 and 3 are similar but considerably lower than step 1 (baseline) you have a bad positive terminal connection between the battery and the starter.
On what setting for the meter to test those ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back