98 xp limited lottery, place your bets, need an answer.....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Hi everybody.

So I had some bad luck with my fresh rebuild on my 98 xp limited with the 950 in it.

After being gentle on it for two tanks I was ready for the first real shot of wide open at the end of the second tank. I was already at cruising speed and edged it to wide open, ten seconds later it dies. 50 psi on the mag, 120 on the pto. Mag side was smeared and ugly, pto showed that it had done a light four point seizure???? I never ran it up cold, always did a long warm up and gradually increased throttle to let everything settle in and expand properly.

The cylinders survived with a hone job, new pistons are in and I test ran it in the water on the trailer last night. I just stayed on the trailer checking and watching for leaks or anything else. I kept feeling the pipe, head, cylinders.......

The thing I noticed right away, and watched until I shut it off, was the head and cylinders stayed really cold????......

Then driving today I am trying to figure out the four point I had on the pto piston.......

Then I got thinking.... "Hmmmm, the main cooling line supply and return hoses are the same size aren't they?...............

%$#%^%$$.......

I pulled the ride shoe and everything else off last year to reseal the whole rear end....... The shop manual shows the coolant supply and return lines going to two fittings directly next to each other.........

I'm still at work, but I want to see a show of hands/vote that I swapped them at the pump and was ramming 35F water straight into the head and cylinders........

I don't know the answer yet myself, give me a few hours.

Well, you can drive a 951 in 38F water with the coolant lines reversed.......

I didn't like those pistons anyhow......

(#%$@)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back