98 Speedster rattle drive shaft fail

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually got a another new carbon ring but somehow I mistakenly put the old one back on so i gotta reassemble it all again tomorrow. This vid shows just how loose it is with a worn carbon ring.

It was a bit of a pain to push the bellows back far enough to get the half ring in... im not looking forward to doing it again with the new carbon ring. Couldn't have done it without a piece of wood wedging the bellows in.

I put anti sieze on the PTO threading as per the advice here and got it hand tight but it looks like it started to unscrew after running the engine several times for testing. i thought engine spinning it would tighten it. Maybe wasn't tight enough in the first place.

Otherwise it looks and sounds right. Once again thanks for the help id be lost without you lads.

The carbon ring is not a tight fit on the shaft. Even a new one will wiggle like that. It is the bellows pushing the ring against the ring seal carrier that creates the seal. That's why the condition and alignment of those two faces is so important.

Odd that your PTO came loose. I've not had a single issue with mine since installing both with anti-seize. But the engine should tighten it, not loosen it. If it loosened they would all fly off on the first run.

Wasn't going to reply but figured I'd report my success. I managed to get the new carbon ring on and took the speedster out on the river yesterday...It ran like a dream, had the best take off speed I've seen. PTO tightened up nicely once in the water. Nil cavitation or turning issues. No problems.

We added a wake tower.

Attachments

• speedster.jpg
    speedster.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back