98 GTX weird left turn bog

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browndog

I’m looking at a pair of 98 GTX’s. Seller says one needs a “carb rebuild” and one bogs out when making left turns when going fast. I don’t see this as a “normal” issue as he mentioned it as a problem. And the fact that it doesn’t happen with the other ski. It seems odd. Has anyone experienced this? I can’t wrap my head around this one.

Also, I’d like to try to get some sort of value on these considering the condition. Here’s what I know so far:
One has carb issues.........I think
One has the left turn issue
Neither fuel gauges work
All 4 seats are shot.......they were previously outside for 6 years
Here’s the whammy——- both hulls have battle wounds in the same area. Directly above the front bumper/ rub rail, left of center. In the pics I can see fiberglass and spider cracks several inches around each hit. I assume this is from trailer misalignment..... but geez, how much speed does it take to load the ski? Any thoughts?

I’m looking at a pair of 98 GTX’s. Seller says one needs a “carb rebuild” and one bogs out when making left turns when going fast. I don’t see this as a “normal” issue as he mentioned it as a problem. And the fact that it doesn’t happen with the other ski. It seems odd. Has anyone experienced this? I can’t wrap my head around this one.

Also, I’d like to try to get some sort of value on these considering the condition. Here’s what I know so far:
One has carb issues.........I think
One has the left turn issue
Neither fuel gauges work
All 4 seats are shot.......they were previously outside for 6 years
Here’s the whammy——- both hulls have battle wounds in the same area. Directly above the front bumper/ rub rail, left of center. In the pics I can see fiberglass and spider cracks several inches around each hit. I assume this is from trailer misalignment..... but geez, how much speed does it take to load the ski? Any thoughts?
Got any pics?
You can do the seats yourself.
Pull and check fuel baffles. Might be a float or fuse.
The carbs are easy with the right parts and a pop off gauge.
It will come down to price and what you are willing to do yourself. These guys on here will help you out a lot.

Sounds like maybe something wrong with the fuel pickup. Was the tank low?
Could also be carbs.

I recall something like this from one of my skis long long ago.

I'm assuming these are 951 skis?

It was a precursor to complete engine failure. Turns out the exhaust water cooling was leaking and getting sucked into the intake. Common failure point on the 951. exhaust is directly above the intake.

the left turn would cause water to funnel into the intake system, while a right turn would cause the dripping water to shift away from the intake. engines don't like water.

any pics of the engine? this would be hard to spot not on the water. If you can't find it, you can ride w/the seat off and look while under power. It my not appear if using a hose for cooling on land.

That’s interesting and thx for the input. No pics.....I haven’t seen them yet. Can I flatten the right side trailer tire, turn to the left and make vroom vroom sounds to check for the leak?

That’s interesting and thx for the input. No pics.....I haven’t seen them yet. Can I flatten the right side trailer tire, turn to the left and make vroom vroom sounds to check for the leak?
you could, but make sure you run it on only dasani water on the trailer.

...............”now” you tell me. Thanks a lot

It was a sad day. The skis sold yesterday. Oh well, the search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back