98 GTS won’t start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac101001

Hi I’m a new owner of this specific ski and I’m stumped. Got a great deal on it however it will only fire when you spray mixed fuel directly into the carb. Taken the carb apart and cleaned it. Nothing has changed and as soon as you hit the throttle it bogs and dies.

FWIW.....if you went through the trouble of cleaning the carb, you should have just rebuilt the whole thing....you MUST use genuine MIKUNI carb kits (all other kits are a waste of time and money). Follow the carb rebuild sticky post at the top of the forum....like gospel ALL the way through.

I assume you removed any old fuel and started with fresh new fuel? The fuel selector switch is in the ON position?

You don't mention if the ski has all the original grey tempo fuel lines, etc....SO, conventional wisdom states: 1) replace all fuel lines, 2) replace the fuel selector switch and fuel filter O-ring gasket too (they don't clean and they are cheap enough), 3) rebuild the carb(s), 4) replace (or fix) the fuel guage - IF yours is broke 5) re-sync the cable connection(s) to the oil pump (assuming the pump hasn't been bypassed to run only pre-mix, 6) test on the trailer on the hose - short periods of runtime only (the hose water does not cool the driveline components) - 3000 rpm at idle on the trailer.

Drop it in the water and she what she does then - idle is 1500 in water. Good luck with it.

the oil pump has been bypassed and it has green automotive lines that you can see through. This is odd and I’m not sure if it is typical of a 2stroke but when turning it over there is exhaust escaping from the carb

No, exhaust should not be coming out of the exhaust.
Yes, the air cleaner needs to be on.

Do you still have oil going to the rotary valve?

the oil pump has been bypassed and it has green automotive lines that you can see through. This is odd and I’m not sure if it is typical of a 2stroke but when turning it over there is exhaust escaping from the carb
Uh oh....you said you got a great DEAL on it.....words to DREAD in the jetski world....sometimes!!!!!!

Exhaust should not escape back through the carb.....2 strokes = intake stroke (air and fuel IN), exhaust stroke (products of combustion OUT - through the exhaust system). SOMETHING is not right if its pumping exhaust out the carb......time to dig deeper into the engine I'm afraid.

Was it running when you bought it? or did you buy a non-runner on faith -> i.e. "a great deal"???? I'm not being cheeky here btw.....but they should at least start before you buy it, unless you are ready to tear it apart and figure out what's what. HOW good of a deal...just asking for reference? Personally...if it doesn't start and idle (even poorly)....I wouldn't give you $500.00 bucks (depending on age and intuition).

Last edited:
I paid 300 and it starts however does when I push in the throttle. We did a compression test and it was fine and discovered it was not exhaust gas it was fuel mist

I paid 300 and it starts however does when I push in the throttle. We did a compression test and it was fine and discovered it was not exhaust gas it was fuel mist
OK, now you're talking.
If it starts (and $300.00 IS A DEAL) but it needs a little throttle....could be as simple as an IDLE screw adjustment on the carb. The screw should just touch so the butterfly is CLOSED, then about 2 turns in to just crack the butterfly plate a bit to get her to idle at about 3K on the trailer.
You're getting closer !!!!!!

Ok new development there is a cloudy oil like substance in the bottom of the engine is this supposed to be there

This is the black hunk I was talking about

Attachments

• 81FF57FB-60E3-4394-B0E0-57F7DA89122C.png
    81FF57FB-60E3-4394-B0E0-57F7DA89122C.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 6
  • E46E6874-2B02-4FB7-97A3-41EFE71A7828.png
    E46E6874-2B02-4FB7-97A3-41EFE71A7828.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 6
Looks like your crankcase might be full of oil. Possibly from leaking crank seals.

What oil are you using, looks pretty dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back