98 gsx no spark help needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tom147715

Just picked up a 98 gsx limited that I’m trying to get running. I have a no spark condition that has me stumped. Original mpem would not power up gauges but would allow crank but no spark. Replaced mpem with arialtek reman unit from eBay. Gauges now work and I’m getting 2 beeps with key. Neither mpem have powered the white wire to the coil (I’ve checked coil terminal with volt meter and light and also pierced the insulation with light before coil box connector and just coming out of mpem). White wire ohms 1.1 from coil to mpem connector.
—retensioned the pin without any change.
-Trigger coil ohms within spec (278) to mpem and bracket is intact and sensor is clean
-Coil produces spark with bench test and passes all resistance checks
-Fuses are all good and I’ve removed and cleaned grounds on mag cover and in coil box.

Edit: worked on it a little longer and am getting 12v low alarm on gauge while cranking. I am measuring 12.3v on mpem fuse while turning over. Also not getting an Rpm reading while spinning over. Confirmed flywheel is correct for a 98 with 2 trigger pickups.

What am I missing? Thanks

Last edited:
Got it running. Aftermarket stator and trigger were the issue. Swapped in an oem cover / stator / trigger and it has spark. There was a noticeably larger gap on the aftermarket trigger.

Attachments

• 34B1171E-83C3-440F-8827-AD71F47BA310.jpeg
    34B1171E-83C3-440F-8827-AD71F47BA310.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 7
Got it running. Aftermarket stator and trigger were the issue. Swapped in an oem cover / stator / trigger and it has spark. There was a noticeably larger gap on the aftermarket trigger.
That will do it for sure. I just went through that myself. The 'new' pickup coil was 1/4 inch farther away from the stator than the OEM. Definitely wouldn't work. Too bad I put it all back together before I figured it out because it's a pain to change. I left the new stator in and it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back